Google and yahoo are two major computer software and internet industries striving for their name to be at the top of the chart. They both provide almost the same services like Mail, search engines, Weather forecast, news and other minor services for the ease of their users to provide them all their internet needs on a single website. But google has always been a way ahead than Yahoo by providing a bit of more convenience and better search results. The other thing which makes Google more proficient is their vast products in the market. Undoubtedly, Google is the number 1 search engine in the US and around the globe, whereas Yahoo manages for 2nd spot worldwide. Google provides services like Google Books, Adwords, Admob which are missing in Yahoo. Although, we can’t underrate Yahoo, as they also have several products which are missing in Google but keeping it short and simple Google is the best-acclaimed search engine.
What is Google?
Google was founded on September 4, 1998, by two classmates Larry Page and Sergey Brin. Although they both were not good friends in the early days but somehow managed to create a world’s leading internet company. It all started with a research project they were given during their student life at Stanford University for research purposes but soon they realized that the project they had started was now getting huge loads of positive response. As this tiny project changed into a little business the two students moved their business to a friend’s garage at Menlo Park, California. And from that day onwards they grew bigger and bigger and today they are the World’s leading IT company providing services from a search engines to an Android Operating System.
What is Yahoo?
Yahoo was founded on March 1, 1995, by two graduate students Jerry Yang and David Filo at the same university Google was founded at, Stanford University. The Website started named as “Jerry’s Guide to the World Wide Web”. Basically, it was a directory of other Websites organized in a hierarchical manner. As the website grew they renamed it “Yahoo!”. They started the newly renamed website as a search engine by selling 2.6 million shares and after gaining some popularity, they started emergence into various other internet related businesses. On 8 March 1997, Yahoo bought a communications company named as Four11 and their webmail service and named it as Yahoo! Mail. Step by step they grew and launched many other services like Yahoo Music, Yahoo Games, Flickr and many more to widen their business and gain more Popularity.
- Google poses Number 1 position in Alexa Rank, which proves the popularity of Google among masses, whereas Yahoo has Alexa Rank of 5.
- Google has a share of 58.5% (according to the research of comScore in Oct’07) while Yahoo! has a market share of 23%(according to the research of comScore in Oct’07)
- Google’s social networking sites are Google+, Youtube while Yahoo provides its users with social networking sites named as Tumblr and Flickr.
- Yahoo Provides its users with a more User-friendly environment by providing different themes while Google hasn’t yet announced this feature.
- Google doesn’t provide any Games to its users while Yahoo does care a bit more for its users in the field of entertainment by providing different games.