Table of Contents
The main difference between lycan and werewolf is that the transformation in a lycan from human to wolf can take place at any time and the transformation in a werewolf from human to wolf takes place on a full moon day, and they cannot stop the transformation.
Lycan vs. Werewolf
A Lycan is a mythological character. A normal person can be transformed into a Lycan when another lycan bites him. A werewolf is also a mythological character. A person can be converted into a werewolf by the bite of another werewolf on a full moon day. Lycan looks like a humanoid wolf in its appearance. Werewolf in its wolf form looks like a regular wolf except for a lot bigger. Both the lycan and werewolf possess superhuman powers of speed, agility, regenerative abilities, coordination, and excellent tracking abilities. Lycan is said to be smarter, unlike werewolf. Another interesting fact about lycans is, they are said to be religious. Werewolves are said to represent witchcraft. Lycans are more difficult to kill as it needs to sever their spine or their cranium from their spine to kill them. Silver metal cannot kill them. But it affects them as it inflicts the wounds on lycans which may take longer to heal. To kill a werewolf, it needs to stab or shot him in the head or heart with silver. Lycans can change themselves into humanoid wolves at their will. Werewolves change themselves into humanoid wolves but cannot turn back into their human state. Lycans have control over their senses and can think even when they are in animal form. Werewolves have no control over their behavior and are consumed by their wild blood nature.
What is Lycan?
A lycan is a deadly mythological creature of tradition and power. The term lycan is a short form of “lycanthrope” which comes from an ancient Greek’s word Lykos- meaning wolf and Anthropos- meaning human. These two words can be put together to form wolf-human or wolf-man. It willingly accepts the blood of the wolf into their veins. It can shift at will, any time, into their wolf forms. It is generally more like a wolf standing upright like a man than a man disguised into a wolf-like body. It is a part of a group or pack of other people who have willingly accepted the blood. A lycan can stand upright, and its anatomy typically reflects that of a human with wolf elements. One can only be a lycan if they are born as one. A bite from a lycan will result in nothing more than a large wound.
What is Werewolf?
Werewolf is a classic creature in horror that roams the night on a full moon, killing anything and anyone that crosses its path. The term “werewolf” is originated from Old English were or were- meaning ‘man’ and the ancestor of modern English ‘Wulf.’ This term translates to man-wolf. It is forced to transform by the light of the full moon. It has no control or memory of the actions committed during transformations. It is considered to be a man whose body is mutated to that of a wolf. It is contracted through bite or scratch and is incurable and uncontrollable. One can either be a born werewolf or turned through the transfer of werewolf saliva into the bloodstream such as a bite.
- Lycans do not depend on the full moon and can transform at any time of the day or night conversely werewolves can only transform on the full moon.
- Lycans can control their transformation and remain in human form for as long as they want whereas werewolves have no control over their transformation and turning back to humans.
- Lycans are known as smarter and can take better decisions. On the other hand, werewolves have no control over themselves after transformation.
- Lycans are stronger and have got a more muscular body as compared to the werewolves who are weaker.
- A lycan can only be killed once its spine is severed from the body. However, a werewolf is killed by piercing its heart or head by a silver object.
- Lycans are killed only by severing the spine from their body on the flip side werewolves are easy to kill by piercing their hearts or head by a silver object.
Lycans and werewolves are mythological characters with different origins, but both have established their existence in fiction with their distinct, unique qualities.