There are many medicines which are used for different purposes. Some of them might have different names but perform similar functions while some may be entirely different but end up benefiting the person in the same way. Many drugs which are not in the knowledge of people confuse people about their use. Two such drugs are known as Aleve and Advil. Both perform the same function but still have many differences between them. These variations among them have explained the following lines. Both these medicines are available frequently at many stores and do not require any prescription and both treat the same problems. They are included in the list of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs and help in treating pains, cramps, fevers and headaches along with many other diseases. Their main difference starts from the main chemical which is used in their making. Ibuprofen is used for in the making if Advil while Naproxen is used while making Aleve. Another difference between them is the manufacture of both these medicines. Advil is made by Pfizer while Bayer is the maker of Aleve. There is also some difference between the dosage which is given to patients. Advil is given in larger amounts up to 800 milligrams while Aleve is given in smaller amounts of 200 milligrams per dose. Both these drugs are present in a wide range. Advil can be bought in the form of tablets, chewable, capsules, injectable and even gels. On the other hand, Aleve is only available in few forms such as tablets, capsules, and gels. One factor that has to be noticed is that Advil came into the market as early as 1974, but Aleve was a new entrant and only started production in 1991. They both act in the same way and heal the same problems for people and have differences in prices which can be termed as another reason of differentiating between them. Advil is available in specific parts especially in the United States while Aleve is present all over the country and even in certain regions of the world. Therefore, Aleve has greater sales as compared to Advil. A detailed explanation of these two types is given in separate paragraphs.
Definition of Advil
It was the first type of medicine which did not include any steroids and helped in curing common problems such as body aches, headaches, and cramps. This medicine is owned by Pfizer and started its manufacturing in 1991. This is more famous in people because of the use of the main ingredient which is ibuprofen and is known for relieving pain and fevers. There are many types in which it can be consumed from tablets to injections. There is no requirement for prescription in case of this medicine though initially there was this restriction. Over the time, it has become common and is easily obtainable at stores.
Definition of Aleve
This is the newest type of Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs which is available in the market for curing different problems such as relieving body pains, fevers, and even clotting issues. People can easy buy these tablets from the stores, and they are lower in price which makes them suitable. The main chemical for this type of medicine is Naproxen, which is also important in maintaining the body temperature. It also performs functions like reducing pains. This is owned by Bayer and started manufacturing as late as 1991. It was first introduced in the United States but then became famous all over the world. In simple words, it can be consumed in the form of aspirin, but the dosage is to be managed.
Differences in a Nutshell
- The main ingredient in Advil is Ibuprofen while the central part of the Aleve medicine is Naproxen.
- Each tablet of Advil contains 200-800 mg of the main chemical while each tablet of Aleve contains around 220 mg compound.
- Advil can be consumed in the form of multiple doses while Aleve is taken as OCT dose only.
- Advil is taken after every 4 to 6 hours while Aleve can be taken 8 hours after the first tablet is consumed.
- Advil does not have many side effects and is not prone to reactions. Aleve results in different side effects which are to be monitored while taking medication.
- Advil is free of pseudoporphyria, which is one form of photo sensitivity but Aleve is more likely to cause it.
- The smaller side effects of Advil include Nausea and dizziness, while the minor effects of Aleve are digestive problems.
- Advil started manufacturing in the year 1974 while Aleve started its functioning in 1991.
- Aleve has more sales as compared to Advil in the world while Advil is more sold in the United States.
- Pfizer is the owner of Advil medicine while Aleve is owned by Bayer.
- Advil is available in a variety of forms while Aleve is restricted to specific types.
There is less information about the drugs we use for a normal person since they are not professionals. But there is the possibility of knowing about them and that is what this article has done by giving the main differences between Aleve and Advil two most common drugs. Hopefully, this would have helped the ones who want to know.