The main difference between vaseline and petroleum jelly is that the vaseline is a brand name for petroleum jelly and petroleum jelly is chemically derived from petroleum, the natural raw material substance found by oil miners in Pennsylvania in 1859.
Vaseline vs. Petroleum Jelly
A brand name for petroleum jelly is Vaseline. In 1859, it was manufactured by Robert Cheeseborough under his company. Unilever later purchased the company in 1987 and used the brand name ‘Vaseline’ which is known at present. Petroleum jelly is chemically extracted from petroleum, the natural raw material substance which was found in 1859 by oil miners in Pennsylvania. Petroleum was a material that built upon the Oilers’ rigs like mud. It was stiff like wax and black in color but at the same time a good paste that is used for cuts and burns. Vaseline jelly is likely to contain 100% petroleum, but it does not. It is a mixture of minerals, pure petroleum jelly, and some micro-crystalline that makes its texture smoother and silkier. It also has a different fragrance, and it is sold in different forms such as creams and lotions. Petroleum jelly is extracted from natural petroleum (the black one). It went through various processes until it reaches the translucent characteristic and mixed with semisolid hydrocarbons. Vaseline is used for skin protection, for cleansing, etc. It is a petroleum jelly based product which is a brand name by Unilever. Petroleum jelly is the mixture of non-polar hydrocarbons which is a famous agent for healing the skin and has a healthy effect on the human skin. Vaseline protects dry skin, minor cuts, cracked skin, scraps, and burns. Petroleum jelly creates a protective barrier on the skin preventing it from moisture loss.
What is Vaseline?
Vaseline is known as a brand name of petroleum jelly. In 1859, it was manufactured and used for medical purposes by Robert Cheeseborough, a young chemist. Later, it was purchased by Unilever, but its name remained the same. It is a semi-solid product and is known since the last century as an ointment. It protects the skin from dryness, cracking, minor cuts, scrapes, and burns. It helps to reduce the appearance of fine, dry lines and used to protect the skin and lips against dryness and chapping. Vaseline is one of the most known household products which are used by many people for different purposes. These purposes are skin protection, lotions, for cleansing, etc. Vaseline contains the following products:
- Skin Creams
- Plain Petroleum Jelly
What is Petroleum Jelly?
Petroleum jelly is a by-product of oil production composed of mineral oils and paraffin wax which is a chemical preservative. Other than Vaseline, Petroleum jelly (also known as petrolatum) creates a protective barrier on the skin and preventing it from moisture loss. There are certain side effects of petroleum jelly. The mineral oil in petroleum jelly clogs the skin pores. This clogging leads to whiteheads and breakouts. It is the composition of a semi-solid mix of hydrocarbons. It was discovered in 1859 by oil miners in Pennsylvania. It was a stiff black substance like a cold wax. The result of factory-made petroleum jelly smells like oil and gas mainly because it is extracted from real petroleum. Sometimes, it called white petrolatum, petrolatum, or white paraffin. Petroleum Jelly is found in:
- Many Lip Balms
- Vaseline is a kind of petroleum jelly used for various purposes such as lotion, cleanser, lubricant, etc. whereas a petroleum jelly is a lucid jelly which consists of a mixture of hydrocarbons used as a lubricant or ointment.
- Vaseline is composed of pure petroleum jelly which contains minerals and microcrystalline wax, so it is smooth on the other hand petroleum jelly is made up of a partial solid mix of hydrocarbons that comes from mines.
- The fragrance of Vaseline is like lavender oil or baby powder conversely petroleum jelly has a smell similar to oil and gas.
- Vaseline is made by pure petroleum jelly mixed with minerals and micro-crystalline wax on the flip side petroleum jelly, chemically derived from natural petroleum, consists of a translucent, semisolid mix of hydrocarbons.
- Vaseline is sold in different forms on the market as lotion, ointment, solid or cream but Petroleum jelly is mainly sold as the solid in small purse-size tubes or larger tubs.
Petroleum jelly is a main product and Vaseline is derived from it. Both act as a moisturizer for the skin.