The main difference between Split AC and Window AC lies is that a Split AC has two main components, a condenser separate from its evaporator which lies inside the furnace and a Window AC has all its components within one unit.
Split AC vs. Window AC
Split AC has two parts, an outdoor unit that consists of condenser, compressor, and expansion valve and an indoor unit that consists of the evaporator, capillary tube, and cooling fan. Window AC is a single piece compact portable box with a condenser, compressor, evaporator, cooling coil, expansion valve or coil, etc. Split AC is typically used in large areas, like offices, hall rooms. Window AC is good for transferable applications due to its portable construction. Split AC requires less space. It is suggested to maintain a maximum of 6-meter distance between its indoor and outdoor unit. Window AC requires more space comparatively. The capacity of the split air conditioner depends on the size of the room. It is available in the range of 0.8 ton to 3 ton. The capacity of the window air conditioner also depends on the size of the room. It is available in the range of 0.75 to 2.5 ton. The installation of split AC is quite difficult. Its installation, maintenance, or service requires skilled worker. Window AC is easy to install and service as all components are compactly designed. It does not require a skilled worker. Split AC is costly as compared to Window AC of the same capacity. Window AC makes noise as it has all noisy components fitted into one cuboid. Split AC is silent and does not make noise. A person who needs silence for sleeping prefers to buy a Split AC.
What is Split AC?
The split AC (air conditioner) has two different units, which are settled internally and externally and hence they are named as an indoor unit and outdoor unit. The indoor unit is installed inside the room. It works by taking the warm air inside and throwing the cold air as the output. The outdoor unit, also known as the compressor, is installed outside the room, with a distance of about six meters. It is connected to the internal unit through drain pipes and electric cables. The external unit throws out the warm air. Split AC is mounted on the wall and is used for large rooms due to their higher cooling capacity. It can be installed anywhere without blocking the window or daylight. Split AC comes in various patterns and colors, and that changes the entire look of your room. Installing a split AC requires the help of a professional and also has extra installation charges. The service and maintenance of this AC are also technical and requires professionals. Split Ac is not portable, so it is not a good idea to install a split AC in an apartment. The main advantages of a split AC are:
- generates pretty low noise (<50db)
- occupies less space
- more silent than window AC
- Can be installed in a room with no windows.
- ceiling and floor mounted options are also available known as a tower or vertical or Cassette type split AC
- gives air pattern and uniform cooling across the room
- consumes less power and electricity
What is Window AC?
Window AC is a single piece compact portable box with a condenser, compressor, evaporator, cooling coil, expansion valve or coil, etc. These are apt for a small room with a window space. They typically come in a single unit. Window AC does not come in various colors or patterns. It is generally constrained to white color. It is easy to install and do not require any extra charges. It is portable, which makes it easy to move from one place to another. Window AC requires low maintenance, which is quite simple in term of service, as all components are compactly designed. The installation process of Window AC is very easy. It does not require a skilled worker or a professional. Window AC is designed to fit inside a window. This type of air conditioner does not take any extra space in your home. So, this is a huge benefit for those who live in a small house. An open vent on a window AC allows fresh air from outside to come into the home. This air circulates along with the cool air generated by the unit to maintain carbon dioxide levels below 700ppm. There are the following features of a window AC:
- all components are in a single unit
- easily installed and maintained
- portable and easily transferable
- fluctuating DC Power
- constant R.P.M. Compressor
- low capacity
- two fans on the same shaft
- air can be taken from the atmosphere
- an inverter cannot be used
- Split AC has two parts, outdoor unit and indoor unit whereas window AC is a single piece compact portable box.
- Split AC is difficult to transfer as it is not portable on the flip side window AC is good for transferable applications due to its portable construction.
- Split AC requires less space conversely window AC requires more space comparatively.
- Split AC has a range of 0.8 ton to 3 ton, on the other hand, the capacity of the window AC is in the range of 0.75 to 2.5 ton.
- The installation of split AC is difficult and requires skilled worker while Window AC is easy to install and service.
- Split AC has more cost on the contrary Window AC is less expensive.
Split AC and Window AC are two different type of air conditioner due to their difference in structure, components, capacity, cost, power consumption, and work, etc.