Garments are an essential accessory for human beings, and there are several materials from which they can be made. The two most important ones which are quite similar to each other are the two discussed here Main difference between them is that Silk is known as a healthy fiber which is softer in nature and is produced by silkworms, this is used to make thread and fibers which in turn creates garments. On the contrary, Satin is a smooth and shiny fabric which is made of silk and is produced by a weave in which the thread is wrapped around each other in the form of a loop.
What is Silk?
This is known as a strong fiber which is softer in nature and is produced by silkworms, this is used to make thread and fibers which in turn produces garments. It is famous around the world as the type of fiber which makes good clothes and that are of high quality. The process of its production is rather impressive. The first step is that of a moth which lays eggs, they are more than 500 in numbers, as soon as it lays the eggs, it dies. Then, baby worms are hatched from the eggs and then feed on mulberry leaves for more than thirty days after which they become fat. These worms then spin cocoons which then kill the growing moth inside the animal. They are then let to wash in hot water and then lose the threads. The female then uses the cocoons, unwind them and combine five or six of them to form threads. These threads are then stitched into clothes which are then made softer with the help of pounding process. It is said that the first type of such cloth existed in the year 2700 BC when the wife of Chinese emperor invented it. It is assumed that a cocoon fell in her tea and then she saw that it was made from a thread like structure. Hence we wear clothes made of silk until today. There is a requirement of around 2000-3000 cocoons to produce the silk of one pound. Annually around 70 billion miles of silk is produced according to an estimation which is more than any other fiber or metal.
What is Satin?
This is a smooth and shiny fabric which is made of silk and is produced by a weave in which the thread is wrapped around each other in the form of a loop with the help of weft after appropriate intervals. The word has been originated from the Arabic language where the term Zaytuni was used which meant, of Tsinkiang, which is a town in China. The main characteristic of this type is that it has a shiny surface on the front and a dry one at the back which gives is the extra edge over others since it can be used for various purposes. It has high luster because of the large numbers of floats and is used for making bedsheets. It is also used for making other types of clothes, table covers and etc. There are three primary processes under which it can be produced, and they are satin weaves, twill weaves, and plain weaves. Many types of satins exist depending on the nature and the requirement for making the cloth, but the main ones include the antique satin, baronet, charmeuse, faconne, and gattar. The first one is the original, which is made with the help of slubbed spun weft yarns. The next one has cotton back and a silk front, the third one is light in weight and have a satin surface. The fourth one is made in the industry and isn’t naturally produced, and the last one is made from silk wrap and cotton weft. They are also used in making women lingerie, nightgowns, blouses, and athletic shorts.
- The main difference between silk and satin is that silk is the fabric which exists while satin is the weave which is used to make it.
- Silk is available in the natural form and is obtained from original species while a satin has to be weaved according to the requirement.
- Silk has a smooth and shiny surface from all the sides while silk has a rough surface on the one hand and soft and shiny for others.
- The primary uses of satin include making women lingerie, nightgowns, blouses, and athletic shorts while the main uses of silk include making shirts and in some cases, jackets and trousers.
- Silk was first discovered and produced in the year 2700 BC when the wife of Chinese emperor invented it while satin was first weaved as late as the 18th century.
- The main types of silk include mulberry silk, Tasar silk, Oak Tasar silk, Eri silk, and muga silk. While the main types of satin include antique satin, baronet, charmeuse, faconne, and gattar.
- Silk is most widely available in nature while satin is most widely available in the industry.
- Silk is made from cocoons while satin is produced with the help of materials such as silk, nylon, and polyester.