These are items which are made from pork meat and therefore create confusions among people on how they are prepared and what is the main difference between them. That uncertainty can be removed just by one related thing about them. Ham is the type of meat which is traditionally known as the cut of pork and was obtained from the front leg of the swine. On the other hand, Canadian Bacon is the type of meat which is obtained from the pork loin which is cut from the back of the animal and the belly in the same cut.
What is Ham?
This is the type of pig meat which is usually eaten during lunch or dinner and therefore is prepared properly with the help of other ingredients and following the complete recipe. The meat used for it has been processed through the stages of salting, smoking, and cutting. It is traditionally known as the cut of pork and was obtained from the front leg of the swine. It is famous all over the world because of its unique taste and therefore has many types such as Janon Serrano, Los Pedroches, Jambon d’Ardenne and Xuanwei ham. In the more technical terms, it is known as the meat which has been processed through mechanical processes. This term is more famous in the United States and the European countries but has different types and names in which the method of preparing them differs slightly. It is said that the Chinese were the first people to make this sort of pork meat, but this had already been eaten in the Roman era. The word itself belongs to the old English word hom or ham and means “the hollow or bend of the knee.” There are many ingredients which can be added in it for better and different taste and can include black peppers, saffron, and other spices. The first phase is salting of the meat which is done by applying salt on the surface and hen letting it soaks for a long time, people clean it, cover it with salt, and the length can be as long as one month for some types. The next phases include grilling and dipping it in curry for particular periods.
What is Canadian Bacon?
Canadian Bacon is a type of pork meat which is not only famous in the country itself but around the world as well, especially in Australia, New Zealand, and the United States. It differs from other types of pig meat in the way that it is obtained from the loin of the animal. This term has originated from the traditional British bacon which is part of the breakfast in the country and has become famous around the world too. If someone who visits Canada will notice that even the British and American pork meat which is cooked in the Canadian way will be called Canadian Bacon which is not always true. It became part of the culture because most of the people here had migrated from Britain and therefore, with them, brought the food. Elaborating on the type of meat, it is obtained from the pork loin which is cut from the back of the animal and the belly in the same cut. It is available in two forms. The wet and the dry form in which there are few variations such as the dry one is cooked for some time while the wet one stays relatively raw. It is not as thick as other types and especially is thinner than the American side bacon which is made from the stomach of the pork. The Same cut is used for its preparation, but the cutting method can differ from place to place. People also like to eat the same type of thick cut, but the traditional method stays the same. The term itself is not spoken in Canada but more famous in America.
- Canadian Bacon is the type of meat which is made from the loin of pork while ham is the type of meat which is made from specific parts of the leg, thigh or rump of the pig.
- Canadian Bacon is the word which is originated from the British language while Ham is the type of meat which is more famous in the United States.
- The meat used for Ham has been processed through the stages of salting, smoking, and cutting. On the other hand, the meat which is used for Canadian Bacon is either left wet or is dried properly after several processes.
- Canadian Bacon is usually eaten during the breakfast or brunch time while Ham is generally eaten during lunch or dinner time.
- Canadian Bacon is more famous in the United States while Ham is more famous around the world, especially the European Union.
- Main types of Canadian bacon are dry and wet Canadian bacon while the main types of Ham include Janon Serrano, Los Pedroches, Jambon d’Ardenne and Xuanwei ham.
- In technical terms, Canadian bacon is cooked at home while Ham has been made ready with the help of mechanical processes.