The main difference between Hotmail and Gmail is that Hotmail is a free web-based email service provided by Microsoft, whereas Gmail is a free web-based email service provided by Google.
Hotmail vs. Gmail
Email service is the best service that provides user-friendly features to send bulk emails and to manage mailing lists and email designs etc. The two most popular email services are Hotmail and Gmail. These two services have different features that may or may not help the people according to their needs. So, there is a confusion among people that which service should be chosen.
These two services belong to different companies. Hotmail is the email service that is provided by Microsoft. On the other side, Gmail is a free web-based email service developed by Google. Hotmail email service is older than Gmail. It was introduced on 4 July 1996. On the flip side, Gmail was introduced later on April 1, 2004.
On the basis of privacy and security, Hotmail is highly secure than Gmail. Because there is nothing like scanning emails of the user to send them adds in Hotmail while, Gmail usually done this with its account holders.
These two services also allowed limited connection with other social media platforms. For Example, a Hotmail account can be connected with Skype, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google. On the other hand, as the Gmail account is developed by google so, it can be used to connect with Google services.
Moreover, you may share and edit the MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel files by using the MS Office Online whereas, Gmail service does not support online editing. It has its own Google Docs system that needs extra plugins.
Hotmail has unlimited storage space because its storage space is not connected with the storage space of OneDrive. Conversely, Gmail provides a limited email storage space of 15 GB that is associated with Google Drive.
We can easily send a 50 MB file by using Hotmail. On the other side, only a file of 25 MB size can be sent by using Gmail. Moreover, Hotmail has fewer users than Gmail. Hotmail has about 500 million users worldwide, whereas Gmail has more than one billion global users.
What is Hotmail?
Hotmail is a free web-based email service provided by Microsoft. It was introduced on 4 July 1996 with the name of Hotmail. Microsoft also introduced Outlook latter on July 31, 2012. Both of them work on the policy of Hotmail.
But, in 2013, Outlook.com replaced Hotmail. Outlook.com also works at the address of Hotmail, and Hotmail.com is also still working. It consists of OneDrive, People, unlimited storage, Skype, Ajax, and integrated Calendar.
It is highly secure because there is nothing like scanning emails of the user to send them adds. It is just like a personal inbox where anyone may organize all its emails, calendars, events, and important dates, etc. It also has unlimited folders to arrange files according to different categories.
It provides a team collaboration system for business purposes which helps the team members to access and share the joint work. Due to the integration of the Microsoft Office in Hotmail, it has become one of the best email services. Now the Hotmail account holders may easily edit and save their Word, PowerPoint or Excel documents from their inbox. Moreover, they may also download these files.
Hotmail has unlimited storage space because its storage space is not connected with OneDrive. Initially, it provides 5 gigabytes of storage that progressively increases according to the needs of the user. Hotmail helps its users to keep their inbox clutter-free by using different features like the shape of the filter, move to, sweep to, and instant action system that provides a more powerful control and commands over the inbox by the user.
Recently Hotmail has presented another feature in order to upgrade from Gmail. It helps the users of Hotmail to import all of their messages and contacts from Gmail to Hotmail.
What is Gmail?
Gmail is a free web-based email service developed by Google. Gmail was introduced on April 1, 2004. Gmail is offered in almost 72 international languages. It has about more than one billion global users. About 60% of small companies in the U.S. are using Gmail.
It is the first app that has been download about one billion times on Android devices through the Google Play Store. In 2004, It was introduced with only 1GB storage space. But, Google has combined Google Drive with Gmail that provides the account holders with 15 GB of free storage. So, the users of Gmail may store all of their data on Google Drive and may also share it with others.
It is very easy to use a Gmail account and can be accessed easily from almost any device. It helps the users to organize their emails into different categories. For business users, Gmail offers work accounts that have important business management features like the calendar, docs, conferencing, and video meetings, etc.
Gmail also has a large number of customizable themes to decorate the inbox. Google Hangouts play an important role in video and voice conversations in Gmail. Moreover, a single account of Gmail may be used in many Google services that need an account first.
It also supports the transfer of money to family members and friends. The account holders may attach the money with their messages and can safely send it through their Gmail and Google Wallet. This option is not available in most of the email services. So, it means that Gmail is not used to send and receive messages only, but, it can be used for various other Google services.
- A free web-based email service that is provided by Microsoft is known as Hotmail, whereas, a free web-based email service that was created by Google is known as Gmail.
- Hotmail was introduced on 4 July 1996 on the other hand, Gmail was introduced later on April 1, 2004.
- Hotmail has about 500 million users worldwide. On the flip side, Gmail has about more than one billion global users.
- Hotmail is highly secure because, there is nothing like scanning emails of the user to send them adds conversely, Gmail is less secure because it scans the emails of its account holders to send them adds.
- Hotmail account can be connected with other social media platforms like Skype, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Google. On the flip side, as Gmail account is developed by Google so, it can be used to connect with the Google services.
- You may share and edit the MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel files by using the MS Office Online. On the other hand, the Gmail service does not support online editing.
- We can easily send a 50 MB file by using Hotmail while only a file of 25 MB size can be sent by using Gmail.
- Hotmail has unlimited storage space because its storage space is not connected with OneDrive, but, Gmail provides a limited email storage space of 15 GB that is associated with Google Drive.
- A Hotmail account holder can make a video call or chat with his Skype friends. On the other side, a Gmail account holder may also make a connection with his friends but only with Hangout users.
- Hotmail never sends his users the email content based ads. On the other hand, the email content based ads are common in Gmail.
- Hotmail account users do not have any option to send money to anyone while Gmail account users may send money to their family members and friends with the help of Google Wallet in Gmail.
- Hotmail supports SSL as cryptographic protocol conversely, in Gmail, both SSL and TLS are supported as cryptographic protocols.
- The expiration period of the Hotmail account is nine months in case of continuous inactivity. On the flip side, the expiration period of the Gmail account is nine to twelve months in case of continuous inactivity. After nine months, account will be blocked, and after 12 months of inactivity, it will be deleted completely.
- Hotmail is offered in 106 international languages while Gmail is offered in only 72 international languages.
- Hotmail provides a full preview of the message. On the other side, Gmail does not provide a full preview of the message.
- There are proper folders to arrange files in Hotmail whereas, Gmail uses tags.
- There is no condition related to the use of your own domain while making an account in Hotmail. On the flip side, Gmail allows account formation by using their own domain.
From the above discussion, it is summarized that both Hotmail and Gmail are web-based free email services. But, Hotmail was introduced by Microsoft and offered 106 international languages. On the other side, Gmail is introduced by Google and is more popular than Hotmail with 72 international languages.