These are the two terms which have meaning in different fields of life and therefore has been used in a variety of ways, but they are very distinct from each other. The main difference between the two terms will be explained with the help of their definitions which are as follows. The hypothesis is a supposition or explanation which is conducted on the basis of some evidence and the initial results which are obtained from the starting point of an experiment. Prediction is the action of forecasting something which may or may not is true.
The term hypothesis is a supposition or explanation which is conducted on the basis of some evidence and the initial results which are obtained from the starting point of an experiment. This is the act made by just observation and reasoning and has no proved at the current stage. It is derived from the Greek words hupo which means under and thesis which means placing, this was collectively called foundation and was integrated in the English language late in the 16th century in the current form. For an idea to become a hypothesis, it is important that people are able to test it and therefore most of the scientist come up with this only if there has been previous work or observations which exist but cannot be currently proved. This is the initial stage of any experiment and cannot be considered a theory although they both are used in the same context. There are two main types of hypothesis the first one is called scientific hypothesis and the second one is called working hypothesis. The first one is known as an educated guess and referred to as a solution which can be tested later on since it provides the basis of the scientific method which can be applied to it. The second one is the one which is accepted for further research and has some work done on it previously and has a theory to support it even if it fails in the later stages. There is a complete process which is required to prove it and includes several terms which can be important in getting the results.
This is a term which can be defined in simple words as a thing which is being forecasted, it is the action of predicting something which may or may not be true. There are no previous observations of conclusions on which this is based, and therefore there are half the chances that it might fail and half chances that it might become real. This word has originated from the Latin language praedicere which means make known beforehand and was integrated into the English language in the mid-16th century. It is a statement about an event which is not known and can be based on experience. This term is usually confused with the forecast, but there are no obvious differences or connections between the two conditions. There are many fields in which predictions can be made. And the first one is the easy prediction which is not connected to any scientific activity and is just a random guess related to anything happening in the daily life. It is based on the knowledge that a person has on the field they are working, at home where they have been living and have an idea of how things are working. This also has roots in statistics where predictive influence is used within several approaches. This also has some power in science where different predictions are made on the basis of movements of particles and the consequences which can be derived from logics. In sports, it is taken in the form of betting where you are allowed to make guesses based on your experience. Overall, this has a lot of different meaning which will be explained from the primary definition.
- A hypothesis can be defined as a supposition or explanation which is conducted by some evidence and the initial results while prediction is a term which can be defined in simple words as a thing which is being forecasted.
- A hypothesis is based on some scientific explanation and observations which are made while prediction relies on a person’s previous knowledge or guesses.
- Prediction originated from the Latin language praedicere which means make known beforehand and was integrated into the English language in the mid-16th century. The hypothesis is derived from the Greek words hupo which means under and thesis which means placing and was embedded into the English language late in the 16th century.
- A hypothesis is used to analyze the actual relationships between existing variables while prediction is mostly used to analyze the relationship between non-existing variables.
- The hypothesis is usually considered as a theory while prediction is generally considered as a forecast.