There are many alcoholic drinks which have distinctive properties on the basis of which they can be categorized. Vodka and Gin are two other ones which are very different from each other and therefore can easily be explained regarding their preparation. Vodka has been originated from Russia and is made by distillation of potatoes, rye or wheat. Gin originated from Netherlands and is made with the help of distillation of malt or grain and then mixed with the flavor of juniper berries.
What is Vodka?
Vodka is one of the most famous beverages which fall into the category of alcoholic drinks and is made by distillation of potatoes, rye or wheat. This was originated from Russia, and the word itself is from the same language which has refined from Voda to vodka. The word voda means water. It is famous in Asian regions and Europe and is composed of water which is mixed with ethanol and some flavoring. The most traditional way of making it still is the grains of different foods but many modern companies use substances such as fruits and sugar. This is one of the heaviest drink which has 40% of alcohol content. In the European Union, the standard is set to 37.5% while in America the limit is 40% as stated above. There are many ways of drinking it, and the most common one is the neat drinking method where it is not mixed with any water of ice. The another one is the chilled vodka which is more famous in countries such as Finland, Iceland, and Sweden. Many other types of drinks can also be made through it such as cocktails and include the main types of vodka tonic, Screwdriver, Greyhound, Black or White Russian, Moscow Mule and others. Unlike other alcoholic beverages, it cannot be stored for a long time and usually has to be consumed within 12 months of the manufacturing. Due to the higher number of drinks in the American and central European countries the area ranging from Iceland to Belarus and few other countries is known as the Vodka Belt.
What is Gin?
This is another type of alcoholic drink which is made with the help of distillation of malt or grain and then mixed with the flavor of juniper berries. Initially, it was used as an herbal medicine in the middle ages but now has evolved as a drink which is most common around the world. It became famous in Europe when the United Kingdom was ruled by the Dutch and has various styles, tastes, and flavors of juniper as the main ingredient. The name gin is the short form of the word genever which has been deduced from the French language word genievre and is used for juniper. It is usually not drunk on its own but is mixed with other drinks and cocktails to give them a better taste. There is a big range of them which can be made with the help of gin and include Negroni, Ramos Gin Fizz, Martinez, Gin Rickey, Red Snapper, Tom Collins, White Lady, Hanky Panky, Clover Club, Alexander, French 75 and others. It can still be used for medical purposes since it contains many herbs which can be useful for diseases such as malaria. Around 60 million cases of gin are consumed over the world every year and Philippines is the biggest consumer with more than 1/3rd of the drinks. Officially there are different types which can be made such as the original which has an enormous amount of juniper. The next one is the flavored spirit which has 30% of ABV. The next one is distilled gin that contains 94% of ABV, and the last one is London Gin which has the same content up to 70%.
- The drink of Vodka has been originated from Russia while the drink of Gin has been originated from Netherlands.
- The word Vodka has been originated from Russian language term “Voda” which means water while the term Gin is the short form of genever which is the Dutch and French synonym for Juniper.
- The main constituent of Vodka is water and ethanol while the central part of Gin is Juniper berries.
- Vodka is made from by distillation of potatoes, rye or wheat. While Gin is made with the help of distillation of malt or grain and then mixed with the flavor of juniper berries.
- Cocktails made from Vodka include Vodka Tonic, Screwdriver, Greyhound, Black or White Russian, Moscow Mule and others.
- Cocktails made with the help of gin and include Negroni, Ramos Gin Fizz, Martinez, Gin Rickey, Red Snapper, Tom Collins, White Lady, Hanky Panky, Clover Club, Alexander, French 75 and others.
- The amount of spirit in Vodka is around 37 to 40% while the amount of spirit in Gin can go as high as 94%.
- The main types of Vodka include Neat Vodka and Chilled Vodka while the main types of Gin include London Gin, Flavored Spirit, and Distilled Gin.
- Vodka can be consumed with one year while Gin has to be consumed as soon as the drink is ready.