The main difference between Job and Career is that Job is a position of regular employment, that paid, and Career implies progress of an individual in a particular profession or a company.
Job vs. Career
Job is an activity through which an individual can earn money. It is a regular activity in exchange for payment. A career in the pursuit of a lifelong ambition or the general course of progression towards lifelong goals. In job education or special training may or may not be required. Whereas career usually requires special learning that includes individualized components that develop abilities beyond that which training is capable of. A job is “safe,” as stability of work and income is there. However shifting priorities, especially in resource jobs, can abruptly change the demand and require relocation, which is an unstable factor, risks may be completely external. And career may not mean stability of work as it encourages one to take risks; the risks are often internal and therefore planned. A job varies by demand, more likely to be wage while career varies depending on value to society or some other entity. The job may have a negative impact when counterproductive social practices continued in the name of protecting jobs, whereas career may have high value as social change/progress may be possible.
What is Job?
A job defined as anything a person expected or obliged to do; a piece of work, especially a specific activity done as part of the routine of one’s occupation or for an agreed price. Through a job, a person can earn to support her basic needs and family or friends. A job also viewed as a contract between the employer and the employee. In commercial enterprises, the basic purpose of a job is to create profits for the employer, and the employee contributes labor to the enterprise, in return for the payment of wages, or stock options, etc.
Types of Job
- Trade: These are manual work or jobs. Examples contain carpenters, auto mechanics, hairstylists, and bakers. Slaughters or Butchers, plumbers, and tree surgeons are also trades. To turn into a tradesperson, you generally have to do a course and complete a period of practical work.
- Profession: For this sort of job, you need a university qualification. Examples contain lawyers, doctors, dentists, architects, librarians, engineers, and pharmacists. Scientists, physicists, teachers, university professors, and geologists are also occupations or professions.
- Unskilled Jobs: You do not need any formal qualifications for them. Examples include fruit pickers, maids, janitors, retail assistants, farm laborers, cleaners, etc.
What is Career?
Career means the part of the life that is concerned with employment. From an occupational standpoint, it means the total of the various jobs you may hold within your lifetime. Despite that, these definitions do not fully capture the meaning of a career. We would like you to think of a career in a broader, more life-encircling way. Think of the decisions you make concerning a job or a college major as valued components of a lifelong process. When viewed in this manner, a career defined as the total of decisions that direct your educational, social, economic, political, and spiritual endeavors and reflect your unique personality characteristics and basic life values. A career decision should be made with very carefully, for they will substantially influence your direction, personal satisfaction, and fulfillment in life. While the basics of career development are the same regardless of age, changes in maturity and life experiences necessitate different approaches. Some career specialists feel that most adults, like children and young people, go through several developmental stages. Accordingly, they consider the life stage of a person before selecting a counseling strategy.
- Your deep and most cherished life values in every major endeavor (i.e., home, work, school, and leisure).
- Your opportunity and inspiration to use and develop current and desired skills.
- Your excitement about past, current, and future achievements.
- The job defined as a work or duty performed by a person for getting a salary or wages. Career relates to an occupation carried on by a person for his entire life.
- In a job, you spend your time and skills to earn money, but when it is about career, you invest your time in following your dreams.
- A job is a means for safety the needs of life, but a career is an end in itself, i.e., what a person endeavors until he retires.
- A job is a trip, but a career is a journey.
- A job is when you worked for a time frame. Inversely, a career is when you don’t know either it is morning or afternoon or night, you sleep late at night and wake up early to learn and explore more and more.
- The job requires education and skills. On the other side, career needs specialization in a specific field.
- People maintain a job, for a short term while a career is seen as a long-term goal of an individual.
Job is what you are working at present, but career is what you have done so far and what you are going to do next. There can be some jobs in a person’s career. We can also say that there is only one career in a person’s life that incorporates all the jobs. A career is what you see yourself in the future.