All the components of computing devices are integral for computing. Storage is like a brain for computer. With the evolution in technology, its shape changes from time to time but still it is a necessary part of many devices like computers, laptops, mobiles, digital cameras, notebooks, etc. There are currently two main form of storage, flash storage and hard drive. All other modes of storage are their components. Many similarities exists between then but yet there are some remarkable differences also. After understanding them one by one, it will be easy to draw the difference.
What is Flash Storage?
Although history of flash drive is very old but it got noticeable appraisal after 2004. in 1984 Toshiba gives the concept of flash storage. Flash storage is a kind of electronic storage which is non volatile. Today in many devices like notebooks, mobiles, digital cameras, MP3 players, etc. flash storage has made a reasonable place than hard disk drives. It is an advanced form for data storage. It consumes less space and power than hard disk drives. It contains a single chip on which any kind of data can be stored.
What is Hard Drive?
Hard drive, also called hard disk drive is a secondary storage device in computer after RAM (Random Access Memory). It can be in two form internal hard drive, present in computers and laptops, and external hard drive, used as a removable hard disk for backing up data. It is like a machine because it contains all parts like circuits, read & write heads and platters. Before the commencement of flash storage it was an integral part of electronic devices. Still it is widely available in desktop computers and laptops.
- Hard drive consumes more electricity than flash storage because it has to spin the platters. Flash storage are totally freed from platters and consumes 50% less power than hard drive.
- Hard drive make noise and produce heat due to rotation of platters. There is no concept of noise and heat in flash storage.
- Hard drive performance can be low due to fragmentation. It is required to be usually defragmented. Flash storage is easier to handle than hard drive.
- Hard drive can be crashed and corrupt due to many moving parts. Flash storage can be corrupt but cannot be crashed.
- Flash storage data transferring speed is more than hard drive.
- Flash storage is very lighter truly speaking is weightless than hard drive. Hard drive is very bulky and it is not very easy to replace it from one system to another.
- Flash storage is more durable because it contains no machinery, just one single chip. Hard drive is not durable. So many parts are interconnected with each other. Damage in one part means whole hard drive becomes useless.
- Some internal hard drives are compatible with limited desktop system. If you want to use them in another system, they requires fresh window. There is no concept of window is flash storage. Simply plug out from one system and plug in to another system.
- Flash storage has multifunction than hard drive. You cannot use the same hard drive in laptop.
- Although flash storage shows performance than hard drive but it is not economical. 16 GB flash storage price is equal to 200GB hard drive which decreases its demand.
- Flash storage cab be easily lost due to tiny size as compared to hard drive.