Both are the ancient dogs of Japanese origin, recognized as the oldest dog breeds in history. Inu is the word used for dog in Japanese, though these dogs are called Akita Inu and Shiba Inu, though their names without the addition of Inu even makes them recognizable. Both the dogs are immensely popular worldwide, apart from similarities in traits and some of the characteristics one can easily differentiate between both of them as they are ‘antonym’ to each other. Akita is the largest Japanese breed 25-28 inches, whereas Shiba Inu is the smallest Japanese breed with 15-17 inches in height. Similarly, Shiba Inu has around half of the weight of the Akita.
What is Akita?
The largest Japanese dog breed also recognized as one of the most ancient dogs is called Akita. As their origin is of colder region, they naturally have dense, thick and water repellent coats to deal with it. As they are of humongous size, they are kept for hunting and guarding purposes. Like mentioned above, they are quite adapted to the colder region, so they hardly survive in hotter regions like Africa or Asia. They are said to have qualities like loyalty, bravery and enthusiasm and that is why they prove themselves as superb guard dogs. They have life expectancy of around 10 to 12 years and have height in between 25 to 28 inches. As they are larger in size, they have more weight relatively to other Japanese breeds. They weigh around 70 to 120 pounds.
What is Shiba Inu?
Shiba Inu is the smallest Japanese breed with 15-17 inches in height. Due to their small size and dense hair coating, they look quite cuter and calmer. Beside it they are multi talented with showing skills at guarding, hunting and, tracking. They are around half the size of Akita with having average height around 15 to 17 inches. Tough their weight is even low as they are not even as broader than Akita, they weigh in between 17 to 23 pounds. They have life expectancy of 12 to 15 years and are well adapted to the colder regions. Shiba Inu is also a loyal dog that gets equally attached to all the family members of his master’s.
Akita vs. Shiba Inu
- Akita is the largest Japanese breed, whereas Shiba Inu is the smallest Japanese breed.
- Akita has average size of around 25 to 28 inches, while Shiba Inu has average size of around 15-17 inches.
- Akita has average weight of around 70 to 120 pounds, while Shiba Inu has average weight of around 17 to 23 pounds.
- Akita has life expectancy of around 10 to 12 years, whereas Shiba Inu has life expectancy of around 12 to 15 years.
- Akita single out one person of the masters family and loves that person more, while Shiba Inu equally loves all the family members.
- Akitas are in black, brown, red, or white color, whereas, Shiba Inus are black, tan, red or white in color.