Energy is the basic source an individual needs for the survival of life. Respiration and Photosynthesis are two of the processes, which revolve around the concepts of storage of energy and release of energy. In other words, we can say that they are the similar sort of reactions occurring in reverse. Respiration is the process done by around every of the living organism, in both the green or non-green cells, whereas photosynthesis is the food making process, which only takes in chlorophyllous cells (plants and other such livings). The process of respiration can happen 24 hours a day, means it can happen both in light and dark condition, contrary to this, the process of photosynthesis only takes place in the light.
What is Respiration?
Respiration is the process of breakdown of constituents to get the energy release. It is a complex process, which takes place in all the living organisms, regardless of the presence of chlorophyllous cells. The process of respiration occurs 24 hours a day as it doesn’t require light to carry on the process. If we make a keen look in this matter, we will come to know that respiration is the reverse process of photosynthesis. As we know that, we get the glucose and oxygen as the product, in the process of respiration, glucose and oxygen are the raw materials which lead to the release of products like carbon dioxide and water along with the energy. In this, the energy is released in the form of ATP’s. The chemical equation of the process of respiration is as follows: 6O2 + C6H12O6 –> 6CO2 +6H2O + ATP (energy).
What is Photosynthesis?
Photosynthesis is the food making process which is associated with the plants and other living organisms having chlorophyllous cells. In this food making process the energy is stored in the form of glucose, and when needed the glucose is broken down to get energy in the form of ATP’s, the latter process is known as the process of respiration. Both the processes, photosynthesis, and respiration, are the reverse of each other as one is the energy releasing process and the other is the energy storage process. Photosynthesis is the process, which occurs in the light, it can either be the sunlight or the artificial light. It is better seen that the process gets more efficient under the sunlight as compared to than in the artificial light. The raw constituents in this process are carbon dioxide and water, and the productive ones are glucose and oxygen. Here’s the chemical equation telling about this food making process: 6CO2 + 6H2O ——> C6H12O6 + 6O2.
Respiration vs. Photosynthesis
- The process of respiration takes place in all livings, whereas the process of photosynthesis takes place in the organisms possessing chlorophyllous cells.
- Photosynthesis is the food making process or energy storage process, whereas respiration is the energy release process.
- The process of respiration can happen 24 hours a day, means it can happen both in light and dark condition, contrary to this, the process of photosynthesis only takes place in the light.
- In respiration energy is released in the form of ATP’s, on the other hand, in photosynthesis, the energy is stored in the form of
- Respiration is the catabolic process, while photosynthesis is the anabolic process.