The main difference between Map and Globe is that Map is a two-dimensional pictorial representing the surface of the earth, whereas Globe is a three-dimensional spherical representation of the whole world.
Map vs. Globe
The map is sketching of earth’s surface. Globe is a circular sketch of the whole earth. The map is two-dimensional drawing, whereas the globe is three-dimensional. The map presents a part of the earth or the whole earth. Globe is an illustration of the whole earth. A map is a plane or a flat piece of paper, while a globe is an orbicular shape. The map does not move. Globe has an axis and rotates around it. A map is useful for identifying the desired subject. Globe is helpful for the whole earth’s surface.
The forming material of the map is soft paper. Globe synthesizes from hard stuff like cardboard. The map is comfortable to carry when folded. Globe cannot be in folded shape. The map is the best drawing that helps in movement from one place to another. Globe does not navigate the region. The map is simple, provides easy identification of areas. Globe is complex and does not identify areas easily. The map is less accurate in comparison to the globe, which provides the highest accuracy.
The map presents a distorted view on the flip side globe presents a deformed view. The second name of the map is a chart. The other name of the globe is duplicate earth. The map provides less information; conversely, globes provide more. The latitudes and longitudes of the map are straight lines. The latitude and longitude of the globe are round. The map cannot be developed for other spherical bodies. Other spherical bodies like the moon can have a presence throughout the globe.
What is a Map?
A map is a flat paper that represents the outline of the earth. It shows the whole planet or its specific area. It can be in print form or handmade, used for navigation purposes from one area to the other. There are three basic elements of the map: direction, distance, and symbol. The scale is a term used for dimension. The scale is a ratio between real distance and distance drawn on the map.
- Reference Maps: These maps present physical attributes, geographic borders, some features like roads, cities, and places. Reference maps have many types. Political maps present the boundaries among states, continents, and political sectors. These maps are present on the walls of the classrooms. Physical maps show the geography of the world by colored and shaded areas. Topographic maps depict the outline of the earth.
- Thematic Maps: The design of these maps show a specific theme. Weather maps, resource maps, and income maps are some of its types. Weather maps forecast about temperature, heavy rains, and storms, the direction of wind flow, and precipitation. Weather maps are widely used maps in the whole world. Income maps predict the income of a topographical region. Median Household Income has broad usage for showing income of both urban and rural areas. A resource map is a tool that determines the reserves of natural resources. It reflects the mineral or gas-rich countries.
What is Globe?
Globe is a three-dimensional spectacle of earth, defining directions, distances, oceans, countries, continents, and states. Its other name is duplicate earth. It is placed on an axle and spins just like the earth. The ancient Greeks were the first ones who used the globe as a map. Globe can be light, or it may be possible that it is made of hard material like metal, cardboard, or plastic. As its composition is of hard material, it cannot be carried along within pocket in folded form. Globe is inflatable and semi-transparent.
Longitude and latitude lines made globes. These lines are circles or semi-circles. The longitude lines are toward north-south, whereas latitude lines are towards east-west. The Equator is a division of the earth into two hemispheres. Globe is an accurate pictorial of land and its parts. Globe cannot be a navigation source from one place to another. The primary use of the globe is for the area, applicable to the interior of the earth also. Just like the earth, the globe design is available for other round objects like the moon.
- The map is a flat paper printed or hand-drawn used for presenting the earth’s surface, whereas the globe is a pictorial presentation of the whole land of the world.
- The map is a two-dimensional flat piece of paper; on the flip side, the globe is a three-dimensional sphere.
- The map is a depiction of the whole earth or a specific area of the land, whereas the globe is an illustration of the whole earth.
- The map is in the form of plain paper, whereas the shape of the globe is round.
- The map has no axis and does not spin around it; on the other hand, the globe whirl around its axis like the earth does.
- A map is a source to provide information about a region; conversely, the globe offers information on the whole earth.
- Map’s synthesis is of soft paper, while the integration of the globe is from hard material like cardboard, plastic, etc.
- A map is easy to carry, fold, and hang along with you; on the other hand, you cannot take the globe with you in the folded form.
- A map helps in movement from one place to another, whereas the globe does not help in navigation.
- The map is a natural recognition of desired areas; on the other hand, in the globe, the identification of desired areas is tough.
- The map is less accurate; on the flip side, the globe is more accurate.
- Map’s view is distorted; conversely, the sight of the globe is deformed.
- The other name of the map is a chart, whereas the other name of the globe is duplicate earth.
- Map delivers ample information; conversely, the globe delivers less information.
- The latitude and longitude are sketched as straight lines, whereas the latitude and longitude of the globe are circles or semi-circles.
Map and Globe are the pictorial descriptions of the whole earth. The Map is a flat two-dimensional chart, which presents a specific region of land, also used for navigation. Globe is a three-dimensional spherical model of the whole earth, which is not a navigation source.