The main difference between Fish and Prawn is that Fish identified by its lack of backbone, whereas Prawn identified by its shell and lack of spines.
Fish vs. Prawn
Fishes have fins and scales on their body and also have a backbone and categorized as cold-blooded animals. Prawns don’t have scales on their skin and posses shell covering over their body. For respiration, fishes use their gills slits. Prawn respires through branching gills. Fishes don’t possess pincers in their mouth. Prawn posses long pincers in its mouth. Fishes are medium in size. Based on the size, prawns are classified as shrimps if they are small in size and classified as prawns if they are large-sized. Fish have a tail and move it side to side while swimming. Prawn has tail fins for swimming. Fish have fins instead of legs. Prawn has claws on its head.
There are some different types of fishes, such as salmon, tuna, etc. Prawns also have different types, such as tiger prawns, jumbo prawns, etc. Fish is a great source of omega-3, while prawn is a great source of anti-inflammatory and antioxidant nutrients. Prawns also contain a variety of allergens and may also cover many diseases.
As a diet Fishes are lower in cholesterol, while Prawns are higher in cholesterol. Fishes are rich in vitamins. Prawns are not flush with vitamins. Fishes took as high calories and high fats diet. Prawns preferred due to lower calories and fats. Fishes have a skeletal structure of bone or cartilage. Prawns don’t have a skeletal structure; they possess an exoskeleton structure.
What is Fish?
Fish is a member of the paraphyletic group, which consists of gills bearing animals whose exact relationships much debated. Fishes are classified groups according to their nature of structure such as cartilaginous fishes (Class Chondrichthyes 800 species including sharks and rays), bony fishes (Class Osteichthyes), and jawless fishes (Class Agnatha 75 species including lampreys and hagfish).
Mainly fishes are warm-blooded and large active swimmers such as shark and tuna; they can tolerate higher core temperatures. Fishes are both scavengers and predators. Fishes are full of nutrition and protein. Some fishes also feed on zooplanktons and phytoplanktons and hence rich in oils (Omega 3 fatty acids) — about 29,000 fish species making the most diverse group of vertebrates.
Eating fish is healthy for you; mostly salmon and tuna are most popular other than tilapia, cod and catfish are also good options to eat. Salmon and tuna are including in easy meals such as salads and sandwiches. American Heart Association recommends eating fish at least twice a week is good for your heart, providing you essential nutrients. Three ounces of fish will give you 110-160 grams of calories 22-24 grams of protein and other macronutrients like fats. Fish contains a slightly significant percentage of phosphorous, magnesium, zinc, and iron.
Advantages of Fish
- Fish as food also provide you essential and healthy vitamins.
- Fish contains Phosphorus, which is vital for a healthy body; it makes our bones stronger, and potassium is good for our heart, and it also maintains a healthy blood pressure rate.
- Fish contains a significant amount of zinc and iron also.
What is Prawn?
Prawns found in oceanic beds. Usually, prawns are related to “Decapod crustaceans” and found in both freshwaters and saltwater. Term decapods crustaceans mean creatures that have ten legs with exoskeleton or carapace from which they molt and grow. At some points, shrimps, also known as prawns. Prawns are large in size compared to shrimps and swimming crustaceans.
For the very first time, Term prawns used in the UK, commonwealth nations, and Ireland for large crustaceans such as “Shrimps that have commercial importance in the fish industry. The term shrimp and prawn mostly used interchangeably. According to the 1911 encyclopedia in the United States, a larger species such as Leander Serratus, the term prawn mostly misapplied to term shrimp. Although word prawn also used for freshwater shrimps, prawns are an important part of the ecological chain which is delicate and never exploited. Both prawns and shrimps are farmed, sold, and served all over the world. They are found in both cold and warm water from tropics to poles and either in fresh and saltwater, but more varieties found in freshwater.
Advantages of Prawn
- Prawns are a great source of vitamin B-6, B-12, and Niacin.
- It helps our body to produce high energy.
- It also builds our muscles and replenishes RBCs (red blood cells).
- Eating prawns also helps us to build our bones strong.
- The cholesterol contained in prawns is vital for a healthy diet.
- Fishes are vertebrate, whereas Prawns are invertebrates with an exoskeleton.
- Fishes are limbless and possess fins; on the other hand, Prawns to have limbs and antennae.
- Fishes may be cartilaginous and bony depending upon the bod;y on the flip side, Prawns has a carapace.
- Fishes are highly rich in fats and nutrition, while Prawns are less rich in fats and nutrition as compared to fishes.
- Fishes have fins; rather, Prawns don’t have fins.
- The Fish body is deeded into three segments head, trunk, and tail, although the Prawn body divided into two segments head and abdomen.
- Fishes show higher species diversity than any other vertebrates group. However, Prawns found in freshwater and as well as in saltwater.
- Fish possesses scales or skin; on the other hand, Prawn possesses exoskeleton like a carapace.
- Fish contain 22-24grams of protein; on the flip side, Prawn contains 20grams of protein.
- Fishes are cold-blooded animals and allowing their body to varying according to ambient temperature changes. At the same time, Prawn usually is the name of small aquatic crustaceans, some of which can be eaten by wild fishes.
- Scales surround the body of Fish. However, Prawns have a shell that covers their body. These shells are made up of 19 segments and divided into different body parts, i.e., cephalothorax and pleon, which means abdomen.
- Fishes are endothermic and can be abundantly found in freshwater as well as in saltwater or marine water such as high mountains stream, deepest ocean, and abysmal while Prawns found in oceanic bed.
- Fishes are belonging to order according to their family e.g. order of salmon fish is salmoniformes, while large Prawns are belonging to the order dendrobranchiata.
It concluded that Fishes belong to class Pisces, and Prawns belong to crustaceans and are closely related to spiders and grasshoppers other than Fishes.