Accessing the internet and staying online is something we do with the help of just a few clicks but there is a lot that goes behind the scenes to ensure that everything stays in order. Cable Modem and Router are two essential tools that help us in getting access but have their uses and distinction. A cable modem is a hardware device that allows our devices to interact with an Internet Service Provider over a landline connection. Whereas, the router is a device that performs the task of forwarding the data packages from the network to the appropriate parts of a computer.
Definition of Cable Modem
It becomes known as a network bridge that provides communication between the radio signals coming from the external sources and connects the individual to the internet with the help of those frequencies. The primary task these devices perform is to deliver the web access to the user with the help of broadband cable internet. It does so with the aid of high bandwidth of a hybrid fiber-coaxial and RFoG network. These types of systems are most common in places like Australia and Asia along with Europe. Another way of defining such systems is that they help to connect our computer with the cable television line and then receive data at various speeds. The fastest speeds of internet vary from country to country, but at a minimum level, they have speeds of 1.5 Mbps. Before these devices increase speed to 28 and 56 kbps were possible through the telephone, and 128 kbps were possible through the ISDN network. It gets installed with the package box that comes whenever a person has to establish the channels and get services from a leading television network. The option of buying it alone and connecting it with other devices is also possible, but mostly the task remains the same.
Definition of Router
It is a device that performs the task of forwarding the data packages from the network to the appropriate parts of a computer. It is a software or a tool that selects the best possible way for a packet of data to go to its exact location. In simple words, it connects networks with each other and acts as a dispatcher that sends and decides the appropriate way of sending the information. It is present at the gateway and gets included at the point of presence on the web. The working is simple, it keeps track of all the routes through which signals are passing and the conditions on which it is working and then use this information along with the distance and cost to determine the best way for a given packet. When data is being sent over the network, it goes through several places and obstacles before it reaches the actual point. Therefore it is important for the device to know what exactly is the signal and where will it suit the best. It has other applications too and has many types that get utilized according to the requirement. Mostly placed in software and engineering facilities, it becomes the most important object for connectivity.
Differences in a Nutshell
- A cable modem is a hardware device that allows our devices to interact with an Internet Service Provider over a landline connection. Whereas, the router is a device that performs the task of forwarding the data packages from the network to the appropriate parts of a computer.
- A router is connected to the modem whereas a modem gets attached to the cable that the company provides.
- The primary function of a modem is to facilitate the connection to the internet by transferring and receiving data through the telephone line whereas the main function of a router is to direct the data within the network, so they reach the exact location.
- A modem gets connected to one device at one time with the help of wire, whereas a router receives pertaining to several devices at one time through Wi-Fi.
- A person has access to the internet if they only have a modem with them, but they do not have any access to the web if they just have a router.
- A modem does not have any particular security concerns or measures, but there are proper security measures to protect the network in case of a router.
There are many types of devices and instruments which have been confusing people for long, and there are the terms related to it that can be helpful for individuals who are interested in managing all the things that are useful for them. This article has explained those terms in a proper manner to make things clearer.