Table of Contents
Touchscreen devices have become prevalent in our lives and the days of the keyboard, and bigger sized objects are long gone. That said, several types of new tools have become part of the market and make a choice difficult for the person who wants to buy. This article looks at the two main types called tablet and PDA. The primary difference between these two is that falls somewhere between a computer and a cell phone whereas a PDA is a personal assistant that combines different tools such as a computer, phone, the internet and networking together to make life easy.
Definition of Tablet
A tablet is the short form of the computer tablet which is a device that acts as a mobile flat portable network. This action tells us that this device itself becomes useful whenever someone wants to have a laptop or if they want a cell phone. It is thinner than other kinds of devices and has a touchscreen display. A processing circuit, color display, and battery that recharges just like a phone make it one of the most versatile products available in the market. Another thing to know about such devices is that they are less costly as compared to their parent ones. They do not have a physical keyboard and are smaller in sizes as compared to notebooks. At the same time, the sizes seem bigger when compared with a mobile device. In April 2010, Apple released the iPad that became the first market tablet and went on to become famous. After that, many companies came out with their models such as Android and Windows. It has many types, but the main ones include the slate which starts from 6 inches and then goes on up to 10 inches. Mini tablets are smaller than slates and have a size range of 7 to 8 inches. Phablets are minor ones and come in sizes with screens ranging between 5 inches. Gaming tablets and business things along with booklets complete the series.
Definition of PDA
PDA are commonly known as Personal Digital Assistants and are devices that are smaller in size that combines all the facilities such as computer, telephone, fax, internet and networking at one place. Other names for such devices include palmtop or hand-held computer. Initially, the most common PDAs had a pen that was used instead of the touchscreen or keyboard. This action meant that handwriting recognition feature also gets accepted along with the voice recognition value. Apple was the first company to introduce such device way back in 1993, and after that, several other companies followed them after the release of Newton MessagePad. These tools were famous before the cell phones, and touchscreen devices got introduced, but ever since their popularity has decreased steadily, and most of the companies that manufactured these products have become bankrupt. Most of them stopped coming up with the new ones after 2010 when Tablets got introduced. Some of the main features of such devices include the touchscreen; this had a virtual keyboard where people got to use a pen and later on, their fingers to make use of the screen instead of another device. Memory cards with smaller sizes have installed the package. Wireless and wired connectivity was also part of the package that completed the system. They were smaller in size and were able to fit in the personal hand.
Differences in a Nutshell
- A tablet is the short form of the computer tablet which is a device that acts as a mobile flat portable network. Whereas a PDA is a personal assistant that combines different tools such as a computer, phone, the internet and networking together to make life easy.
- Main parts of a tablet include a processing circuit, color display, and battery that recharges just like a phone. Principal components of a PDA include a keypad, screen, battery, SD card and a pen.
- In April 2010, Apple released the iPad that became the first market tablet and went on to become famous. Previously Apple was also the first company to introduce PDA device way back in 1993.
- Main types of tablets include slate, mini tabs; Phablets are minor ones, Gaming tablets and business tabs follow along with booklets. Most of the PDA stopped coming up with the new ones after 2010 when Tablets got introduced.
- PDA are smaller in size and usually range to the scale of a human hand, whereas tablets vary in size and range from around 5 inches to 12 inches depending on the model.
We all need different devices to make sure all the computer-related processes are complete. For people interested in technology things get a lot easy if they can get the best stuff on their devices to complete the tasks. A Tablet and PDA are two platforms which are different from each other in a way that the versions differ and that has been explained here.