The main difference between Bronchitis and Asthma is that Bronchitis is the inflammation of the bronchial tubes, whereas Asthma is the swelling of the bronchial tubes, which affects the muscles by tightening them.
Bronchitis vs. Asthma
Lungs diseases are very common in the world, like Tuberculosis, Emphysema, Lung cancer, Pneumonia, Bronchitis, and Asthma. Bronchi are the tube-like air passages between the nose, mouth, and the lungs. Bronchitis is the disease that causes inflammation of the bronchial tubes, whereas asthma is a chronic disease that causes swelling of the bronchial tubes and also affects its muscles by tightening them. Bronchitis is a curable disease, but asthma cannot be cured permanently. Bronchitis is caused by a viral infection or by environmental factors like smoking and pollution etc. but asthma is caused by genetic causes or due to environmental triggers like pollen and dust in air etc. Bronchitis is divided into two types, i.e., Acute Bronchitis and Chronic Bronchitis while asthma does not have any type.
What is Bronchitis?
Bronchitis is an inflammation that results in swelling of linings of bronchial tubes and causes problems like fever, chest congestion, cough and body ache, etc.
- Acute Bronchitis: It exists for a short period followed by cold and infection due to the virus, bacteria or pollution, etc.
- Chronic Bronchitis: It is a long term problem that may weaken and damage not only air passage but lungs tissues also. Its major causes are smoking and various environmental factors.
What is Asthma?
Asthma is an allergic reaction which if once develops in the body, patients will suffer frequent attacks of asthma known as asthmatic attacks. These attacks cause airway constriction and breathing problems because bronchi got inflamed and swelled up. The patient suffers from chest tightening and coughing problems. Asthma can be treated by Inhalers, humidifiers, medicines of allergies, etc. but cannot be cured permanently.
- Bronchitis is a lung disease that causes the inflammation of the linings of bronchial tubes whereas asthma is a lung disease that causes muscles tightening and swelling of the airways, i.e., bronchi which result in a narrowing of the airways and causes breathing problems.
- The signs and symptoms of bronchitis are Chest congestion, body ache, and chills, run a low fever, running and stuffy nose, exhausted feeling, and cough, which can last for a few weeks. On the other hand, the signs and symptoms of asthma are regular cough especially at night, allergies like sneezing, running nose, congestion, problem while sleeping, weakness, feeling low while doing physical exercise or other heavy work and chest tightening, etc.
- Bronchitis is caused by virus or bacteria or other particles like smoking and pollution etc. that can create the disturbance during the breathing process conversely asthma is caused by contact with dust particles, pollens, tobacco, airborne substances, smoke, weather changes, due to genetic problem, or due to a long time respiratory disease like common cold etc.
- Bronchitis can be diagnosed by checking the oxygen level, by spirometer test, through chest X-ray or by blood test on the flip side, asthma is diagnosed by spirometry, blood test peak expiratory flow and by chest X-ray.
- Bronchitis is divided into two types, i.e., acute bronchitis and chronic bronchitis, whereas asthma does not have any types.
- Acute bronchitis gets itself cured within few days, while chronic bronchitis needs a proper treatment to cure like antibiotics and inhaler etc. on the other hand, asthma is treated by Inhalers, humidifiers, medicines of allergies.
- Bronchitis is a curable disease and can be eradicated permanently while asthma can be treated but cannot be cured permanently.
- Precautions for bronchitis are avoid smoking, wear mask wherever necessary, drink plenty of water, get all the necessary vaccines on time, and avoid taking cough medicines. On the flip side, precautions to avoid asthma are avoid smoking, wear mask wherever necessary, avoid coming in direct contact with allergens like dust, vapors, pollen, fumes, avoid coming in direct contact with the person that is suffering from this disease and take proper rest.
From the above discussion, it is summarized that Bronchitis is the inflammation of the lining of bronchi that is caused by pathogens, whereas Asthma is the swelling of the bronchi due to allergies and other environmental factors.