These two organizations are closely related to each other since they perform the same task and have the same purpose for which they have been founded but the main difference between them lies in the name and the structure. Therefore, ASPCA is the short form of the leading organization which is called American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and is a non-profit platform. On the other hand, SPCA stands for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals which is an international organization which is independent in its working in each country.
What is ASPCA?
This is the short form of the leading organization which is called American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and is a non-profit platform which helps in making sure people are able to protect their pets and other animals from domestic violence. It is one of the oldest platforms in the country which started working in the 1860’s and has the mission of providing all the possible resources and means to protect animals from being beaten or injured or even being mistreated in any way throughout the United States. Ever since the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was created in the United Kingdom in 1928, it was thought that a similar one is required in America so that the rights of animals and other living organisms can be protected adequately. It was the belief at that time that animals deserve to be treated with kindness and in a respectful manner by the hands of human beings, and there should be proper laws to make sure that happens. The first work of this was to ban the cockfighting across the country and stop the slaughtering of animals and come up with alternative ways of killing them so that food can be consumed. Many other issues were raised by this society and over the years the main focus of it turned towards cats and dogs which became one of the most petted animals in the world. For over a century, they had their own animal shelters across the country, but in 1977 they entered an agreement with the New York City Department of Health and have been provided proper funds to run them.
What is SPCA
This stands for the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals which is an international organization that helps in making individual rights of animals are protected all over the world instead of just the United States. That said, it is an older body than the ASPCA and was started way back in 1824. The original name for it was Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and was created in the United Kingdom, but later on, the name was changed, and it became global. It has branches in several countries across the globe which are not dependent on each other. They have their own findings, structure, policies under which they function, grants that they receive from the government and other societies and even the board of directors and the goals they want to achieve. The primary focus of all these though is to fight for the rights of animals and assist others in preventing the violence that is inflicted on animals around the world. They also help in making policies that can contain human beings so that they can be kind to animals. The central office of this organization in the United States was founded as early as 2010 and helps the others in implementing global programs, arranging emergency aids for officialdoms. One venture because of which it gains fame was the Operation Baghdad Pups, under which they were given the responsibility of bringing pets from Iraq to American and forth for the soldiers who were fighting a war in the country. It has its fair share of controversies with a lot of money mismanagement on their account.
- ASPCA is the short form of the primary organization which is called American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals while SPCA is the short form of the central organization which is called Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
- ASPCA was established in the year 1864 while SPCA was formed earlier than that and exists from the year 1824.
- ASPCA is restricted to protecting the rights of animals in the United States while SPCA is an international organization which has branches all over the world.
- ASPCA works under one banner and has same aims and objectives while SPCA has different goals and targets in each country and are not connected to each other in any way.
- The primary purpose of ASPCA is that animals deserve to be treated with kindness and in a respectful manner by the hands of human beings and there should be proper laws to make sure that happens.
- The main aim of SPCA is helping in making policies that can contain human beings so that they can be kind to animals.
- The main motto of ASPCA is “We are their voice” while SPCA has the slogan of “A helping hand to a brighter future.”