Since the human creation, people used to live in groups or tribes, which are now called as societies. Mainly there are three places of residences currently known to us in terms of human settlements. Village, town and cities are the places of residences which are distinguished upon basis of population area and boundaries. Cities or village are easily differentiable as they are mostly opposite to each other. Although when it is about differentiating it between towns and cities, one can get confused and that is why these term are used interchangeably. Most prominently, one can differentiate between town and city as town is the urban area larger than village but smaller than city, whereas city is the largest urban area within town and village, which has best facilities.
What is Town?
Town is the urban area that has defined boundaries, and local government, it is larger than a village and generally smaller than a city. In a similar way it has better facilities than the village but lack as much as comfort and technology cities have. In a broader concept, there are several other parameters which make it decide that whether it is a city or a town. In different countries and cultures, towns have different classification so it can be the case that town in a particular country might classify as the city in the other country or vice versa. In many parts of the world, town is being identified on the basis of the population as in Utah the population of over 1000 living at a place is called city and the population less than this marks is called town. On the other hand, in India the area having population over 20,000 is identified as town, whereas areas with lesser population than this are called villages.
What is City?
City is the urban area which is largest in area as compare to the town and village. Similarly, cities have larger population and more facilities and places for leisure. In some countries a city is said to be the large town; large in terms of area and population, whereas it misses one of its prominent features of better facilities. Better roads, schools, job opportunities, sanitation system, transport are few of the salient features of the cities. All of these feature might also be available in the towns but they are not much as abundance and perfection as they exist in the cities. Cities also have larger population and economical stability and that is why they are recognized around the globe, like New York city, London, Delhi and others. Cities also have defined boundaries, and have better government system.
Town vs. City
- Town is the urban area larger than village but smaller than city, whereas city is the largest urban area than town and village, which has best facilities.
- Cities also have larger population and economical stability than the towns.
- In many parts of the world, town is being identified on the basis of the population as in Utah the population of over 1000 living at a place is called city and the population less than this marks is called town.
- Better roads, schools, job opportunities, sanitation system, transport are few of the salient features of the cities.
- Cities have more facilities than the towns.
- Generally, city is larger than town area wise.