Natural disasters come in various and worst kinds, and therefore it is important to know the exact meanings related so that no confusion remains. The two terms that get discussed in this article are typhoon and hurricane, both of which are as dangerous as ever but the main difference between them is pretty simple. Typhoon is a tropical storm that is more common in the Pacific Ocean and the Indian Ocean. Hurricane is a tropical storm that is more common in the Caribbean regions and the Atlantic Ocean.
Definition of Typhoon
It is a tropical storm that is more common in the Pacific Ocean and the Indian Ocean. The word was originated from the Greek language term called tuphon meaning whirlwind and then moved to the Arabic dialect and converted to Tufan which means storm. From here it got mixed with the Chinese word tai fung that means big wind and then eventually got its original state typhoon in the late 16th century. It is considered a mature storm that develops in the western parts of the North Pacific Ocean between 180 to 100 degrees eastwards. This region is not only famous for these storms but is considered the most active place on earth for cyclones as one-third of the total typhoons exist from this location. To keep track of all the things, it is divided into three regions and therefore keeps the management simple. This area constitutes of around 19 countries that all suffer from this disaster and every year hundreds of lives are wasted. There is not much difference in this term and others since they all considered storms, but it is just the location that gives themselves a distinctive name. They vary in intensity and range from 33 knots of tropical depression to 105 knots of violent typhoons while other categories also exist within them.
Definition of Hurricane
It is a tropical storm that is more common in the Caribbean regions and America. The term originated from the Tauno language where the word hurakan that got used for the god of the storm was picked up in the Spanish language and then changed into huracan, from there it converted to its original form in the mid-16th century. This storm originates in the South American regions and therefore has gotten the distinct name. There is not much difference in this term and others since they all get considered storms, but it is just the location that gives themselves a distinctive name. It is similar to a cyclone or a typhoon, but only the place where it starts is the one that gives the distinction. It occurs prominently in the Atlantic Ocean. Another variable thing about them is the speeds at which they occur. Usually, an ordinary storm termed as a hurricane will have speeds of 64 knots at a minimum. Therefore they get termed as the extremer of the two. They occur more commonly in around October when the summer is ending but have more intensity in September when the speeds are high. The year 2005 was the one that is considered most extreme when more than 500 were recorded around the world and had several disputatious effects.
Differences in a Nutshell
- Typhoon is a tropical storm that is more common in the Pacific Ocean and the Indian Ocean. Hurricane is a tropical storm that is more common in the Caribbean regions and the Atlantic Ocean.
- A typhoon occurs most commonly in countries like Philippines, Thailand, Japan and Korea whereas a Hurricane frequently occurs in places like Jamaica, Saint Lucia, United States and Guyana.
- The word Typhoon was originated from the Greek language term called tuphon meaning whirlwind and got its original state typhoon in the late 16th century. The term hurricane arose from the Tauno language word hurakan that was used for the god of the storm and converted to its original form in the mid-16th century.
- Minimum speed of a typhoon is around 33 knots whereas the maximum speed ranges between 105 knots. The highest speed of a hurricane can reach up to 150 knots and is a minimum of 64 knots.
- Typhoons get considered more dangerous since they occur in the most severe region famous for cyclones. Hurricanes have more intensity but mostly occur in the sea, so the damage caused is less.
Typhoon and Hurricane are two terms which are most commonly used languages but always creates some confusion among people who do not know much about them or have mistyped them. This article will have helped people in getting to know the most important points on how they differ so they can use it properly next time.