A skeleton is defined as a framework of bones, cartilages or other rigid materials that support the body of an animal or plant. In humans, the skeleton is present internally ascend it supports the body. It plays an important role in maintaining the posture and shape of the body and muscles. Skeletal muscles are attached to the skeleton using tendons. Human skeleton contain 206 bones, male skeleton, and female skeleton are common, but they have some differences in them that base upon size, shape, etc. A major difference in the male skeleton and the female skeleton is of size; commonly male skeleton is larger in size. Another dominant and most important difference in the male skeleton and the female skeleton is in the pelvis.
What is Male Skeleton?
The male skeleton is comparatively larger than a female skeleton. In male skeleton bones are larger, thicker and stronger as compared to the female skeleton. The characteristics below of the pelvis in the male skeleton will give you a better know about the structure of this skeleton.
In males pelvis:
- The general structure of male pelvis is thick and heavy.
- Pelvic cavity is narrower in the male
- Pelvic inlet is heart shape in the male
- Pelvic outlet is shorter in the male
- False pelvis is deep in the male
- The sacrum is larger and thicker in the male
- Pubic arch is less wide in the male
- Obturator foramen is round in male skeleton.
- The acetabulum is larger in the male
- Greater sciatic notch is narrow and inverted to 70 degree in the male
- The coccyx is less moveable in the male
- Anterior superior iliac spine is closer in male skeleton.
What is Female Skeleton?
Female skeleton is smaller than a male skeleton. In female skeleton bones are smaller, thinner and less stronger as compared to the male skeleton. The characteristics below of the pelvis in the female skeleton will give you a better know about the structure of this skeleton.
In females pelvis:
- The general structure of female pelvis is thin and light.
- Pelvic cavity is roomier in the female
- Pelvic inlet is pear shape in the female
- Pelvic outlet is larger in the female
- False pelvis is shallow in the female
- The sacrum is shorter, wider and thinner in the female
- Pubic arch is wider in the female
- Obturator foramen is oval in the female
- The acetabulum is smaller in the female
- Greater sciatic notch is wider and inverted to 90 degrees in the female
- The coccyx is more movable in the female
- Anterior superior iliac spine is far in female skeleton.
Male Skeleton vs. Female Skeleton
- Male skeleton is large in shape and size than female skeleton.
- The male skeleton has larger and longer bones of limbs, whereas female skeleton has smaller and shorter bones of limbs.
- Male pelvis is far away different from the female
- The male skeleton has thicker and stronger bones, on the other hand, the female skeleton has thinner and weaker bones as compared to the male
- Male skeleton contains more amount of calcium while female skeleton contains less amount of calcium.