The difference between Respect and Honor is that Honor is a higher value of esteem of someone based on social appraisal and degree, notable works in society whereas, Respect is a feeling of valuing, admiring, and importance for someone or something based on their skills, character, and achievements.
Honor vs. Respect
Honor has a higher level as compared to respect. Every person who honored is already respectable, whereas every person we respect not always honored necessarily. Honor is an objective perception based on social status, while respect depends on personal thoughts and principles. Therefore it is a subjective perception for others while.
Regarding the degree of expressiveness, honor, honor is a stronger word than respect. Honor is more formal, while the use of respect is informal. A position is the essence of honor, whereas attention is an essence of respect.
Honor can also be used as a transitive verb, whereas respect as an intransitive verb. Honor can also be in a way to represent a good status and a high degree of moral behavior such as ‘The soldier showed honor in his duty.’ Respect can also be in the way of considering or thinking about a person or thing such as ‘We felt respect for the army’s spirit.’ Honor is also used as a verb to treat someone with respect but in a formal public occasion. i.e., ‘Chief of army honored the martyr in the ceremony.’ Respect is also used as a verb to show regard for a person or thing. i.e., ‘I respect every religion.’
What is Honor?
It is a higher level of respect, including reputation, privilege, and recognition of a person. Honor refers more to the evaluation of someone’s public esteem, social status, and profession. A person’s accomplishments, remarkable works, and performance, which are plausible in society, are the basis of honor. It is the assessment of a person characterized by social admiration other than much by the character, personality, and subjective perception about that person. It can also be explained by the possession of supremacy, which is not easily obtained by other people, similarly to the authority of political personalities.
An honored person expected to have a great position, ideal character, and behavior with high moral values. The use of honor is more formally. .i.e., “It will be an honor to receive a badge from commando.” The honored individual is always highly valued by family, public, school, nation, and army unit. In a sentence, for example: “It was my honor to get a chance to meet the Mayor of the city” Here, Mayor who is a highly esteemed person of authority deserves higher respect because of his deeds.
- My family showed an army honor.
- They expressed honor in the leader’s conduct.
- The chief of the army honored the martyred captain during the event.
- The teachers invited the honored chief guests.
- They organize the event in honor of the late poet.
- Mother Terresa was a lady of honor.
What is Respect?
Respect is a feeling of valuing, admiring, and importance for a person or thing based on their skills, character, and achievements. Respect can be divided into two types; respect that is for ‘people,’ which includes the consideration a person deserves, and respect that is for ‘things’ includes showing actual deference towards possessions of people. We can also provide respect to an ideal, group, nation, actions, society, religion, and particular behaviors. A person can also show respect for his practices, customs, and cultures.
Respect is a subjective perception. Therefore respect is a degree of moral value to someone admirable regarding personal perspective, beliefs, and principles. So possibly there may be a case that a person might not respect another person who doesn’t live up to his thoughts and principles. Respect is about assessing someone’s attributes, which is admirable and depicts its personality. Respect is not only always given to a person but also received and earned through actions and manners.
- The student had respect for the way the teacher counseled.
- We felt respect for the army’s spirit.
- I respect your views.
- He respects people who do charity.
- Show some respect to your elders.
- Her mother respects her decision to leave showbiz.
- The doctor is a highly respected person in the orthopedic department.
- The leaders saluted the tomb as a sign of respect.
- The child always respects his teachers and parents.
- In the assembly, we should respect the speaker.
- Honor has a higher level as compared to respect, which is lower than honor.
- Every person who is honored is already respectable. Conversely, every person we respect is not always honored.
- Honor is an objective perception based on social status. On the flip side, respect depends on personal thoughts and principles. Therefore it is a subjective perception for others.
- Regarding the degree of expressiveness, honor is a stronger word than respect.
- The use of honor is formal. However, respect is more informal.
- A position is the essence of honor, while attention is an essence of respect.
- Honor can also be used as a transitive verb, whereas respect as an intransitive verb.
Both honor and respect mean to show regard or esteem. Still, honor is a higher level of respect given to something or someone based on social status, reputation, and notable works in the society, whereas respect is the subjective perception based on the abilities and character of a person or belongings.