Further and farther are commonly considered to be same in sense but are slightly different in meanings. Farther is used for the physical distance between two things. Further is the non-physical distance or for figurative distance. We can say how much your school is farther from this building?. This is the physical distance. When we say “Truth is not further”, it is a figurative and non physical distance. Further is more diverse than farther. If you get confuse between “further” and “farther”, you may use further, as it is a diverse term.
What is Further?
Further is the non-physical distance or for figurative distance. Further is a diverse word covering lot of ideas i.e. distance or days, galaxies, stars and also the imagination of poets. If a say the sun is far away from here, I would use the “further” for this distance. Further also covers the idea for furthermore, something more, extra or additional. When are talking, we often use furthermore in the sense of more.
What is Farther?
Farther is used for the physical distance between two things. It is a restricted term, only used for a measurable and physical distance. You can say the New York is 500 km farther from here. It is the physical distance. We can say the army troops are running with 2m farther from each other.
- Farther is used for the physical distance between two things while further is the non-physical distance or for figurative distance.
- Further is a diverse term while farther is a restricted term.
- Sun is further from earth and moon is farther.
- Further is also used in the sense of more, but farther is only used in the sense of physical distance.
- While addressing to soldiers he further said, “Enemy is 1 km farther from us”.
- e.g. We have to move 1 km farther for further searching.
- e.g. We have to move farther without further delay.
- e.g. For small physical distance we use farther, and for imaginable distance we use further.