Table of Contents
The main difference between art and craft is that art is a form of work that is the expression of emotions and craft is a form of work, which results in a tangible output, for example, molding and carving.
Art vs. Craft
Art generally described as unstructured and open-ended. It has no restriction of expression, just like in a painting. Craft, on the other hand, is organized, which means that it has a certain form that is visible. It can also notice that art forms proceed with people on an emotional level whereas crafts attract people. Art is well known to come out of the heart and soul, and Crafts come out of the mind and need substantial practice to emerge with world-class forms. Art is an outcome of a person’s innate talents whereas skill in craft can be acquired with experience. Art, it is the emotions that make an ultimate creation. Art is more related to aesthetics whereas, in craft, more practical thought needed. In art, it is the feeling that flow out, whereas, in craft, no feeling is involved.
What is Art?
Art is something we do. Art is an impression of our thoughts, emotions, intuitions, and desires, but it is even more personalized than that: it’s about exchange the way we experience the world, which for many is an expansion of personality. It is the communication of internal concepts that cannot be precisely portrayed by words only. And because words alone are not sufficient, we must find some other medium to carry our intent. But the content that we implant on or in our chosen medium is not in oneself the art. Art is to be found in what the medium used, how the content is express. Art is a different range of human activities in creating visual, auditory or performing artifacts (artworks), expressing the author’s inventive, conceptual ideas, or technical skill, intended to be appreciated for their beauty or emotional power. ‘Art’ is where we make meaning besides language. Art comprises in the making of meaning through an intelligent means, causing an artistic response. It’s a means of communication where language is not sufficient to explain or describe its content. Art can render visible and known what was previously unspoken. Because what art expresses and evokes is in part ineffable, we find it difficult to define and delineate it.
What is Craft?
The description of a craft is a special skill or talent or an occupation that requires a special skill or art. A craft is a diversion or a profession that requires particular skills and knowledge of skilled workers. It defined as the making of those objects that have benefits for people. The objective can be decorative or functional or both, confiding on the use. Craft is an outcome of the mind; that fascinates people. It is a knowing ability, which is acquired by a person through regular practice. It includes things made of hands like birdhouses, mats, woven basket, embroidery, blankets, handbags, candles, jewelry, pottery, glasswork and so on. Craft can be quantified.
Another thing that can see in the craft is that one can create duplicate craft forms. Craft forms can be called skilled forms. Craft is a kind of skill that typically refers to the assembly of handmade goods. This type of skill has been about for centuries, and it usually involves making objects that are not only fascinating but effective as well. In many instances, crafts generally made from raw natural materials. Craft is the use of various utensils and materials with the sole purpose of creating a real, tangible product.
- Art represented as an unformed and open-ended form of work; that states emotions, feelings, and idea. Craft denotes a form of work, concerning the creation of physical objects, by the use of hands and brain.
- Art often described as unstructured and open-ended. It has no limits of expression, just like in a painting. Craft, on the other hand, is organized, which means that it has a certain form that is visible.
- Art is the result of an individual’s innate ability. On the contrary, the craft is the result of learned ability and experience.
- The reproducible of art forms is not possible while craft forms can easily copy.
- Art gives specific attention to ideas, emotions and visual qualities. Conversely, craft emphasizes the right use of tools and materials and the application of technique.
- Art is well known for serving an artistic purpose. On the other hand, craft gives human objectives.
- Art is seldom while Craft is quantified.
- In art, it is the feelings that flow out, whereas, in craft, no feeling is involved.
- It can also be seen that art creates move people on an emotional level whereas crafts attract people.
- Art is knowing to come out of the heart and soul. Crafts come out of the mind and require considerable practice to come out with world-class forms.
To abstract this article, we can state that art is an object that conveys feelings or imagination. The craft has a material structure (like molding, carving, etc.). It is the creation of stuff of a utilitarian nature, to serve a human purpose. Art appeals to the mind and makes the connection emotionally, whereas craft only attracts people.