Table of Contents
To make sure that a device works at its maximum potential there is always a requirement of having some programs installed. Two essential components that are discussed in this article just perform the same job. These two programs have their distinctive definitions. The first one is a computer-based program that is designed to carry out some tasks that are grouped together and helps people in completing their work at faster speeds. The latter one tasked with managing both the software and the hardware parts of the system and hence keeps the device working properly.
Definition of Application Software
An application software known by many names and the most common ones for this are an application program, application or app. It is a computer-based program that is designed to perform some tasks that are grouped together and helps people in completing their work at faster speeds. It benefits the use and carries out a group of functions that are coordinated together, or fulfill tasks and activities that help the user. Many examples of software exist, for instance, whenever we have to watch a video, we need a video player. Several of them are present both within the computer or on the internet. The best ones for this purposes are a VLC player or Windows Media Player. Similarly, whenever we have to access the internet, we require a browser that helps to connect us to the web and open several websites. For this requirement, people download packages such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox or Opera. Two ways are present to make sure these are accessible for the user. First one is that they come with the computer program and provided by the developer of the Windows. The second one is the way people develop programs on their own to help make some of the files work. The simplest of definition for an application program is a software that is designed to help people with information technology. It can manipulate data such as text, graphics, numbers or a collection of any one of them. Most of the apps focus on performing one task at a time while many others have their concentration on providing several facilities.
Definition of Operating System
An operating system is the most important of any electronic device tasked with managing both the software and the hardware parts of the system and hence keeps the device working properly. All the computer programs require an operating system to work. Most standard components of an operating system are the user, who has the control in their hands and want to make things happen by inputting the data and running several applications and utilities. Then the work of implementation starts that manage all the working within the computer and help in moving several functions such as images, videos, worksheets and others. The operating system provides the facilities that assist the app and utilities in the running by proper programming. All the data then gets displayed in the form of output and input on the screens and other hardware devices. Every computer that becomes useful for the general purpose must have an operating system. Otherwise, it will not function properly. An OS performs the basic tasks such as recognizing the input from the keyboard and then sending the output in the form of display. It also keeps track of the directories on the disk and files that work. For systems that are larger, the OS has to provide more functions and powers. It is like a controller that makes sure different programs and users stay logged in on the computer and do not have any conflict. It provides safety and security that saves people from accessing the system without any problems. Microsoft Windows, Ubuntu, Linux, and iOS are the leading example of an operating system.
Differences in a Nutshell
- An application software is a computer based program that is designed to perform some tasks that are grouped together and helps people in completing their work at faster speeds. An operating system is the most important of any electronic device as tasked with managing both the software and the hardware parts of the system.
- An application software is mostly downloaded from the internet whereas an operating system comes preinstalled in the device we buy.
- The best example of an application software is Picasa, a software that is used to open picture of various file formats. The best example of an operating system is Microsoft Windows that helps in running the computer and the processes.
- An application usually has a large size ranging in MBs whereas an operating system is the biggest component of the software and ranges in GBs.
- An application software cannot work without an operating system whereas an operating system does not have any dependency on an application.
- The operating system is essential whereas an application software is optional.
- There is only one operating system for each computer whereas application software gets downloaded on the same device without any limit.
It is essential that items which are different from each other get known. Application Software and Operating systems are two such items. Differentiating between them is not an easy for someone who is not related to the field. Therefore, this article gives details of all the functions present within through proper examples and definitions.