Table of Contents
Well, both of these implants look and feel somewhat natural and not fake. Each of these implants have their merits and demerits. But having stated that, the main difference between these two is, saline implant is filled with sterile salt water. When they are inserted they are empty and then after fitting them in their appropriate place, they are filled with water. While on the contrary, silicone implant is already filled with silicon gel. This gel feels lie human adipose tissue, it is viscous and sticky.
What is Silicon Implant?
Silicon implant is filled with a silicon gel already, unlike saline implant. Most women also feel that silicon breast implants feel more like their natural breast rather than saline implant. They are available for almost any age of breast reconstruction. A silicon has less chance of breaking apart and even if it does than any silicon which pours out of that break in the implant, stays inside the capsule. This phenomenon is called silent rupture, the patient will not feel right away that her implant has been ruptured. Surgery is the best remedy for such cases. Silicon gel implants are filled only once before the operation and not after that.
What is Saline Implant?
In saline implant, salt water is filled after the placement of that implant. They are available for women over 18 years of age. If a saline implant ruptures, it will immediately lose its shape unlike silicon implant. The affected breast will lose its shape and size and the saline which will be leaked out of the implant, will be absorbed by our body causing no fatal problems. Saline implants are not as rigid as silicon implants and they tend to form indentations over the breast which are more prominent and visible when a woman leans forward.
- The first difference lies in the constituents of both the implants as stated earlier.
- Silicon is favored over saline implant, by most of the women.
- Silicon implants are more firm than saline implants.
- Silicon implant rupture is usually silent rather than saline implant, who’s rupture causes deflation of the chest wall.
- Silicon implants are more viscous than saline implants.
- Saline implants are inserted empty rather silicon ones.
- In saline implant, the incision given is smaller as compared to silicon implant. In silicon implant, the incision is comparatively bigger.
- Silicon implants are not adjustable unlike saline ones.
- Silicon implants are filled with jelly like material and thus our body is more likely to react towards it, rather than saline implants.