The main difference between shredded cheese and grated cheese is that shredded cheese is like thin strips of cheese, whereas grated cheese is like powdered cheese.
Shredded Cheese Vs. Grated Cheese
Cheese is the food which is derived from milk. It is a chief food in many kitchens. It is an important ingredient that is used in different dishes and can also be used as plain. There are different types of cheese available in the market in a variety of textures, flavors, and forms, for example, Shredded Cheese and Grated Cheese. Shredded cheese looks alike to the thin strips of cheese. Whereas, grated cheese is like powdered cheese. Packed shredded cheese generally contains powdered cellulose, potato starch, and natamycin. On the other hand, grated cheese is made up of romano or parmesan cheese. A grater is required to make the shredded cheese. On the flip side, box grater, food processor or a Microplane are needed to make the grated cheese. Shredded Cheese is used in baking cheese scones, cooking mac or as a topping. While, grated cheese is used as a topping on pasta, pizza or salads.
What is the Shredded Cheese?
Shredded cheese refers to the long, thin strips of cheese which are produced when the cheese is pressed along the surface of a shredder or a grater. In order to make the shredded cheese, a block of soft cheese is kept in a freezer for at least 60 minutes (1 hour). And then we use a device called grater to shred the cheese. Shredded cheese is made up of mozzarella and cheddar, and it also contains ingredients like powdered cellulose, potato starch, and natamycin. These ingredients have anti-clumping and desiccating properties that help to keep the cheese shreds separate. Shredded cheese generally melts slower than the grated cheese. This type of cheese is used in cooking mac and cheese, in baking cheese scones and can also be used as a topping.
What is Grated Cheese?
Grated cheese is the type of cheese which is produced through the process of grated. Usually, hard aged cheeses are used for this purpose. The cheese can be bought already grated through the market, or we can use a hand grater to grate the cheese manually. The grated cheeses we buy from the market are often blends of more than one type of cheese, such as Parmesan and Pecorino. Grated cheese reacts differently in applications or recipes to cooked foods than the shredded cheese and is also much finer than shredded cheese. We can also use a micro plane to make the grated cheese. The Microplane simply runs the cheese along its surface and is easy to use. Grated cheese normally melts faster than the shredded cheese. This type of cheese is usually used as a topping on salads, pizzas or pasta.
- Shredded Cheese refers to that type of cheese that undergoes the surface of a shredder or greater, whereas, grated cheese is that type of cheese which undergoes the process of the grating.
- Shredded Cheese is just like the thin strips of cheese; on the other hand, grated Cheese is like powdered cheese.
- The shredded cheese block is soft. Conversely, the grated cheese block is hard.
- The shredded cheese block is retained in the freezer for about 60 minutes (one hour), on the flip side, the grated cheese block is aged.
- Shredded cheese is made up of mozzarella and cheddar cheese, while, grated cheese is made up of parmesan and Romano cheese.
- A grater is required to make the shredded cheese, on the other hand, food processor, a Microplane, and a box grater are required to make the grated cheese.
- Shredded cheese generally melts slowly, on the flip side, grated cheese melts fastly.
- Shredded cheese is used in cooking mac and cheese, in baking cheese scones and can also be used as a topping, while, grated cheese is usually used as a topping on salads, pizzas or pasta.
From the above discussion, it is summarized that the shredded cheese appears like long thin strips and used in cooking mac and cheese, etc. while, a grated cheese looks like the tiny fragments and is powdery in nature used as a topping on salads, pizzas or pasta, etc.