The main difference between Cream Cheese and Neufchatel is that Cream Cheese has more fat and calorie contents, whereas Neufchatel has low fat and calorie contents as compared to cream cheese.
Cream Cheese Vs. Neufchatel
We use a different type of ingredients while making different types of dishes in our kitchen. Cream cheese and Neufchatel are also two of them. These two can be used in different recipes as an alternative to each other due to similarities between them. Neufchatel originated from France in the sixth century, while the use of cream cheese was started in England in the 1500s. Neufchatel is more mild and soft than cream cheese in its texture and taste. They both are made up of pasteurized milk, but cream cheese has more fat and calorie contents than Neufchatel. Cream cheese is mild, sweet-tasting cheese and is usually flavored with herbs, garlic, black pepper, and fruits, etc. on the other hand, the Neufchatel has the aroma and the taste of mushrooms. Both of these types are used for topping sweet and savory dishes, dips, and for frosting because they are smooth and easily spreadable at room temperature.
What is Cream Cheese?
Cream cheese Was first originated in England in 1500s. It is a mild soft unripened cheese made up of whole sweet milk enriched with cream. It is white and soft enough to be used as a spread at normal room temperatures. Typically cream cheese is made up of a combination of cream and pasteurized cow milk while some manufacturers also add stabilizing components in it like carrageenan and gum. It consists of 33% milk fat and a moisture content up to 55%. Its homemade versions may include additional ingredients like salt and vinegar etc. Both homemade and commercial versions of it do not make naturally mature. So, it has a short shelf life and has to be consumed fresh. It is normally sold in the form of bars wrapped in the foil. It is the main ingredient in cheesecake recipes, for dips and toppings, as a component to make sauces thick and creamy and for cake frosting, etc.
What is Neufchatel?
Neufchatel cheese originated from Neufchatel-en-Bray that is a French commune in the Normandy region in the sixth century known as “French Neufchatel.” In the 1870s, an American origin of the French Neufchatel was started known as “American Neufchatel.” Neufchatel is a soft and unripened cheese similar to cream cheese but comprising less fat and more moisture. It is made up of raw milk and consists of 23% fat. American Neufchatel is much softer and milder than cream cheese, whereas French Neufchatel is grainy and salty. The foil-wrapped Neufchatel cheese sold nowadays in the market is not the real French Neufchatel, but it is the modified American version made up of pasteurized cow’s milk. It is used for dips, in bread spread and even sauces.
- A mild soft unripened cheese made up of whole sweet milk enriched with cream is known as cream cheese. While a soft and unripened cheese similar to cream cheese but comprising less fat and more moisture is known as Neufchatel.
- Cream cheese Was first used in England in 1500s whereas Neufchatel was originated from France in the 6th century.
- Cream cheese does not have any type; on the other hand; the Neufchatel has two types, i.e., American Neufchatel and French Neufchatel based on its origination.
- Cream cheese has a soft and mild texture on the flip side, American Neufchatel is much softer and milder than cream cheese, whereas French Neufchatel is grainy and salty.
- Cream cheese does not mature naturally. Conversely, American Neufchatel cannot be mature naturally, whereas French Neufchatel matures in 6-10 weeks.
- Cream cheese is mild, sweet-tasting cheese and is usually flavored with herbs, garlic, black pepper, and fruits, etc. On the other side, the Neufchatel has the aroma and the taste of mushrooms.
- Cream cheese is made up of pasteurized or unskimmed milk and cream whereas Neufchatel is made up of only from raw cow’s milk.
- Cream cheese consists of 33% milkfat, on the flip side, Neufchatel consists of 23% milk fat.
- Cream cheese has more calories, whereas Neufchatel has fewer calories than cream cheese.
- Cream cheese comes in bars that are wrapped in foil while Neufchâtel cheese is usually in a heart shaped but, sometimes it may be in other forms, shapes, and sizes, etc. such as cylinders, brick shapes, and squares.
From the above discussion, it is summarized that Cream cheese is made up of milk and cream and has high fat and calorie contents whereas Neufchatel is made up of milk only and have low fat and calorie contents.