Nuts are the food substances that are rich sources to provide both the macro and micronutrients. One can’t deny their notable amount of proteins, fats, minerals and antioxidants. The commonly consumed nuts are coconuts, pecans, cashews nuts, peanuts, and walnuts. Pecans and Walnuts share several similarities though can easily differentiate it between them as they have different outer covering, taste and structure. Walnut outer is round shaped and is of very light brown color, whereas a pecan outer is roughly of oval shaped and is dark brown in color. Talking about price of both the nuts, generally Walnuts are more costly than Pecans.
What are Pecans?
Pecans are the popular edible tree-nuts that are native to the central and Southern parts of America. They grow up on the huge sized Pecan trees, which belongs to the member of hickory family, Juglandaceae. With its familiarity across the globe, they are being produced around the globe but even today the states of U.S. like Texas, Georgia, New Mexico, Arizona are its top producers. Each of the Pecan nut features dark-brown, oval to oblong shape and measures it around 1 to 3 inches long and 0.5–1 inch broad. Pecans are usually harvested in October – December season. 100 grams of Pecans contains 690 calories and can befit human body as it carries notable amount of antioxidants, vitamins, minerals. Pecans are sweet in nature and that is why they are sprinkled upon sundaes, desserts and other cuisines.
What are Walnuts?
Walnuts are the popular edible tree-nuts that hail from the Juglanaceae family and Juglan genus. Their uncanny resemblance to the human brain makes it quite famous among people and many of the people even without knowing its nutrition conclude that they are essential for brain health. They carry on many much needed nutrients, and most prominently omega-3 fatty. Walnuts are also more popular as compare to the other nuts as they contain the maximum amount of antioxidants, which is an essential nutrient in prevention of certain types of cancers. And as it carries notable amount of omega-3 fatty acid it also helps in reducing heart diseases, including high blood pressure and high cholesterol.
Pecans vs Walnuts
- Pecans are the popular edible tree-nuts that are native to the central and Southern parts of America, on the other hand, Walnuts are the popular edible tree-nuts that hail from the Juglanaceae family and Juglan genus.
- Walnut outer is round shaped and is of very light brown color, whereas a pecan outer is roughly of oval shaped and is dark brown in color.
- Pecans are sweet in nature and that is why they are sprinkled upon sundaes, desserts and other cuisines.
- Walnuts are costly as compare to pecans.
- There are 654 calories in 100 grams of Walnuts, whereas 100 grams of Pecans contains 690 calories.
- China is the largest producer of walnuts, while U.S. is the largest producer of pecans.