Lime and Lemon both are the citrus fruits. They both are quite similar as per their use but yet they are quite different. They both are highly acidic in nature. Lime as compare to lemon is more acidic in nature. Lime are of green color and usually have a small size, whereas lemons are less acidic in nature, have a yellow color and are of a larger size as compared to lime. The basic difference between these two is of their taste. Lemons taste sour whereas lime is bitter in taste.
What is lime?
Lime are hybrid citrus fruits that are highly acidic in nature. The word lime is generated from the combination of various words from French lime, Arabic Lima, and Persian limu. People are often confused with lime and lemon, and most of us thought these two the same. Lime and lemon are totally two different and independent fruits. However, both are of the same citrus family, genes, and species that why they resemble a lot but considering them same is not at all acceptable. Lime are usually of green color and are smaller in size as compare to the lemons. Lime has a gigantic variety of species that grow in every part of the globe. Lime by its growing region has various types and kinds. The key difference between lime and lemon is of their color, size and most importantly their taste. Lime are quite much more acidic in nature as compare to the lemons, due to which they taste more sharp and bitter. Average lime is of 3 to 6 centimeter in size with 1.2 to 1.4 diameter. They are one of the major representatives of citrus fruits and their family. Many citrus fruits collectively are called as limes as they belong to the same gene and family. As it is the leader of citrus fruits, lime is one of the best and most widely preferred sources of getting natural vitamin C, and vitamin A. Lime are widely used in cooking, baking, their flavors are used in packaged foods, cold drinks, beverages, medicines, etc. Lime falls among the best and top most widely used citrus fruits for nutrition. Famous lime fruits are categorized by the area in which they dwell. Most famous and common types of lime fruits include Key lime, Persian lime, kaffir lime and desert lime. Moreover, the subtypes and kinds of lime include Musk lime, wild lime, Spanish lime, Rangpur lime, Sweet lime, Limequat, Blood lime, Australian lime, Australian desert lime, Australian finger lime, etc. The origin of lime is not confirmed as there are a variety of myths and stories about their origin. The very first lime, the wild limes are thought to be first originated in parts of Southeast Asia and Indonesia. According to the reports and stats, in 2013 more than 15.42 million ton lime was produced all around the globe including lemon also. India and Mexico are the top producers with 2.52 and 2.14 millions of tons respectively. Lime is used in cooking and various dishes all around the world. Lime juices, cocktails and lime pie are famous of all. On the pH scale, lime juices were noted as 2.00 to 2.35 as they are more acidic than lemons.
What is Lemon?
Lemon is one of the most famous citrus fruit. It is World’s most widely preferred citrus fruit for getting vitamin C, and vitamin A. Lemons are oval in shape and are in 2 to 3 inches in diameter. Lemon are of yellow color and are larger in size as compare to the limes. People often consider lime and lemon same. Lemon in the initial stages of development and before completely ripening are referred as lime. Lemon and lime both are citrus fruits but are different in nature. Lemon is less acidic than lime and is sour in nature. The origin of lemon is not confirmed and known, but they are said to first grow in Assam, India, and China. Lemons like lime are considered to hybrid citrus fruits. According to the genetic study, lemons are said to be the cross hybrid product of citron and sour oranges. They dwell and breed in Asia and surrounding parts. In the late 2nd century A.D. lemons entered the European territory firstly from Italy and then to the rest of Europe. Then afterward it was further farmed in Iraq, Persia, and Egypt. America got lemons in 1493, that too courtesy Christopher Columbus who toke lemon seeds along with him from Spain on his journey. Lemons have 50% more Vitamin C than lime.
Lime vs. Lemon
- Lime are the hybrid citrus fruits that are in green color.
- Lemons are the hybrid citrus fruits that are yellow in color.
- Lime are more acidic in nature as compare to lemons.
- Lemons being less acidic have a sour
- Lime being more acidic have a bitter
- Lime are smaller in size as compare to lemons.
- Lime are enriched with Vitamin C and Vitamin A.
- Lemons are the biggest source of getting minerals and vitamins among all the citrus fruits.
- Lemons are hybrid of sour orange and citron.
- Lime originated in Indonesia and other parts of Southeast Asia.
- Lemon originated in India, Burma, and China.
- Various citrus fruits collectively are categorized as lime fruits.
- Lemons are recognized as individual and unique citrus fruits.
- Lime juice have pH from 2.00 to 2.35. Which means they are more acidic.
- Lemon juice has pH from 2.00 to 2.60, which shows they are less acidic in nature.
- Lime has 50% more Vitamin A in them whereas lemons have 50% more Vitamin C as compared to each other.
- Both are widely used in cooking, cocktails, pies, drinks, beverages and for various nutrition purposes.