Hinduism and Buddhism both are ancient religions that are followed and practiced by billions of people all around the world. As both of these religions originated in the Indian Subcontinent, they are often mixed up together. There are many similarities between the two religions, yet they are different. The basic difference between Hinduism and Buddhism is that Hinduism focuses on Atman which means soul or self, whereas Buddhism relies on finding the peace of soul and rejecting the concept of self.
What is Hinduism?
Hinduism is said to be one of the oldest religion of the world that came into being before the origin of humanity. It is also one of the largest religions that are practiced all around the globe with more than 1 billion of followers, and due to increase in population, they are increasing as well. Hinduism is moreover a way of life than saying it as religion. The scholars, priests, and practitioners of this religions refer it as the eternal way or nature’s eternal law of living. It is a blend of subcontinental culture with their traditions and rituals. This religion does not possess any true roots in history, no credit founder back in time, no prophets, etc. The thing that gives birth to this religion was the Indian culture and the concept of Sanatana Dharma and Atman. Atman is the soul or the concept of self, according to Hinduism everything is originated from atman, even the Gods they worship are developed from the combination of atman. According to their history and beliefs of the practitioners of this religion, it was started to develop in late 500 BC and totally flourished and established in the Vedic Era that was from 1500 BC to 500 BC. Hinduism is a mixture of various ideologies, mythologies, and views. The myths blended with culture with the passage of time developed strongly among the people of Indian subcontinent resulting in Hinduism. It was originated in Indian Subcontinent. Now it is practiced in India, Nepal and other various parts of the South Asian continent. Reports on the latest survey state that Hinduism is world’s third largest religion with more than 1 billion people that is 15% of the total population of the world. Famous religious practices of Hinduism includes Pooja, Yoga, Meditation, Tapasya, Arti, Yoga, Jaimini, etc. Yoga-based exercises are popular among the people all around the globe.
What is Buddhism?
Buddhism is a religion that was developed and proposed by Gautama Buddha. Gautama Buddha was Hindu prince that lived in India. His birth name was Siddhartha. Buddha left his luxurious life and left his home for finding the peace of mind and soul. He was so obsessed with the suffering of people. Buddha walks around the country and observes the people and their suffering. He then meditated and starved for years under a tree. According to the believers of Buddhism Gautama Buddha found the enlightenment and peace. He then started a Sangha (teaching) and open various schools in which he taught about the enlightenment and process of achieving Nirvana (Heaven). He introduced Eight Fold Path and explained the re-birth cycle and phenomena of getting peace. He died at the age of 80 in Kushinagar, India. The schools he developed keep on spreading and teaching his views and making other belief in Dharma led by Buddha. Buddhism is now the world fourth largest religion with more than 500 million followers. It is widely practiced in China, Japan, and India. Sri Lanka, Thailand, etc.
Hinduism vs. Buddhism
- Hinduism is a religion practiced in India, Nepal, Bali, and the Caribbean, Thailand and other parts of South Asia.
- Buddhism is a religion practiced in China, Japan, Korea, Thailand, Myanmar, Bhutan Russia, India and other parts of Asia and the world.
- Hinduism was developed in 500 BC in the Vedic Era.
- Buddhism is considered as an offshoot of Hinduism created in between 4 to 5 centuries ago.
- Hinduism was not founded by anyone as it dwells automatically with the culture and stories of their Gods.
- Buddhism was founded by Gautama Buddha, who was former Prince Siddhartha and lived in India.
- Hinduism is the third largest religion in the world with more than 1 billion followers.
- Buddhism is the fourth largest religion in the world with more than 600 million followers.
- The main focus of Buddhism is on finding eternal peace and eliminating mental suffering.
- The main focus of Hinduism is freedom from the cycle of rebirth and finding a place in Suargh (Paradise).