Table of Contents
Electronic devices have become a critical part of our lives, and people depend on them for the purpose of collecting information and solving problems. The two most important tools in this category are a computer and calculator that have made our lives easier. Their differences become clearer through the definition and go as follows. A computer is usually known as a desktop device where people have the option of using the tool for several purposes. A calculator gets defined as a small device that performs all the basic arithmetic tasks and operations that help people in solving complex numbers and numerical.
Definition of Computer
A computer is usually known as a desktop device where people have the option of using the tool for several purposes. It gets designed such that people get to use it for regularity and gets placed in a single location near a desk or table due to its equipment and shape. Initially, most of these were bigger in size and required larger tables and space to fit in. The sizes have decreased over time, and now monitors have become slicker, the base is also smaller and more efficient. Before the making, if a microprocessor the standard desktop device was considered as a small unit since the original computers were enormous and required a proper room for their working. A computer usually consists of few main items, and these include a monitor that displays everything on the screen. A Power cable that connects the computer and the wires with electricity to run. A keyboard that is used to input data to the computer and has numbers, alphabets, and other keys to help to send the information. A mouse that is used to click different items and then open them for viewing. A hard disk on which all the data gets saved and accessed whenever it is required. A central processing unit that helps in performing all the tasks and makes communication between the user and the computer easier. A memory that keeps track of all the actions taken and in some cases, a printer that is used to print the data preset on the monitor.
Definition of Calculator
A calculator gets defined as a small device that performs all the basic arithmetic tasks and operations that help people in solving complicated numbers and numerical. Initially, the devices considered as a calculator were the abacus that developed around 200 BC. Then the mechanical calculators followed that came into existence in around 17th century. The modern ones were drawn up in the 1970’s and came in the market parallel to the analog computers. Different kinds of calculators are present in the market, and the most common ones provide people with the option of doing the four basic operations that include addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. The more complex ones have many other facilities such as solving different matrices, arithmetic operations, geometry, theorems, probability, combination and much more. Sizes have also changed over time, the first calculators were larger in size and had few buttons, but now they range from pocket-size to credit card size and have many options in buttons and others screens. The input is given through a keyboard with buttons for digits and operations, and some also have buttons to make things simpler. Most of the simple calculators use one button for one function, but the more excellent ones have the shift key that assigns another task with the original button. The display shows on the screen which is smaller in size and has a liquid-crystal display. Other kinds of the display include light-emitting diode and vacuum fluorescent displays. It also has a memory that stores the most recent calculations and does not have the facility f saving more data within it.
Differences in a Nutshell
- A computer is an electronic device which is capable of receiving information and performing a sequence of operations by the instructions given to produce a result in the form of output. A calculator is a device used for mathematical calculations and has a small keyboard and display screen that shows the results.
- The first computers were developed in the 1960’s whereas the first calculators formulated in the 17th century.
- A computer has the capacity of performing the calculations and other logical functions whereas a calculator only shows arithmetic and geometrical operations.
- A computer is bigger in size and is not that easy to carry on its own, whereas a calculator is small and fits in the pocket.
- A computer is costly and ranges from $300 onwards whereas a calculator is cheaper in comparison and ranges from $20 on wards.
- A calculator only carries out one action at a time, and displays result whereas a computer can perform several functions at one time.
- A computer has a large memory and stores data in several megabytes whereas a calculator is smaller in memory and stores one calculation.
After reading this article, the reader will be able to develop a clear stance on how these two devices differ from each other, what are the benefits of using them and how they get the distinction they have gained. This task completes with relevant tables, examples, and definitions provided along the length.