The British and English are one of the most wrongly used English terms. though an English most definitely can be a British and a British most definitely can be an English but there is a huge difference. that difference is that English are citizens of England which is a state of Britain whose residents are called British.
What is British?
The British are the residents of the isle of Britain. it includes Wales, Scotland and England states. the resident of any three states is a British citizen. the Britain was formed after the death of queen Elizabeth 1 of England. the Scottish king was the next in line of throne and thus a joint monarchy was established.
What is English?
English people are residents of England. England is a state of united kingdom’s which includes Ireland and Britain.
- England (land of the ingles) is a country. Britain, as you’ve pointed out, consists of the countries England Scotland Wales. The United Kingdom includes Northern Ireland with this.
- English is also a language while British strictly refers to belonging to Britain.
- The England has its own flag but the England is not a country in united nations. thus internationally English is not a nation but British are.
- Population of British people is about 64 million but of English people is 53 million people.
- Area of England is 130,395 km2. and the area of Britain is 229,848km2.
- English have an English accent but British have Scottish, Walsh or an English accent.