The main difference between Analyse and Analyze is that the word Analyse is standard in British English, whereas Analyze is standard in American English.
Analyse vs. Analyze
The meaning of the verb analyse is “to examine in detail.” On the other hand, the meaning of analyze is also “the detailed examination of anything.” The second last letter in analyse is “s,” whereas the second last letter in analyze is “z.”
The use of analyse is more common in British English; on the flip side, the use of analyze is preferred in American English.
Analyse and British both share the letter S; on the contrary, the other variant analyze has Z in place of S. Spelling of analyse is the commonly used outside the North America; on the other hand, analyzeis the preferred spelling in American and Canadian English. This distinction of the letters s and z extends to the participles.
Other forms of the word analyse are analysing, analyser, analysable; on the other hand, other forms of the word analyze are analyzing, analyzer, analyzable.
What is Analyse?
Analyse is a verb, which means “the detailed examination of anything.” The word ‘analyse’ contains seven letters. The second last letter in analyse is “s,” which makes it different from its counterpart analyze. The origin of this word analyse dates back to the late 16th century under the influence of the French word “analyser” through the Latin word “analysis.” This word analysis derived from analuein, ana- meaning ‘up’ and -luein ‘loosen.’ This spelling “analyse” is standard in British English. The use of word analyse is more common in British English. Other forms of analyse are analysing, analyser, and analyzable.
It is appropriate to use each of these spelling by the region. There is a trick to remember the use of these two variants concerning British and American English. Analyse and British both share the letter S. The other variant analyze has Z in place of S. The detailed meaning of analyse is “to inspect an object or person with the intent to discover, reveal or explain. The things which one can analyse are any person, the number of fields of study, or grammar. The spelling of analyse is commonly used outside the North America.
The noun for the verb analyse is analysis. The plural form of analysis is analyses. Another meaning of analyse is the “identification and measurement of chemical constituents of any substance.” In the context of mathematics, analyze means “a specific part of mathematics that is concerned with the use of limits, continuity, the theory of functions, and the operations of calculus.”
- “Phil, I want you to analyse this data set as early as possible and get me a report by next Saturday.”
- “The psychiatrist will analyse all the results of your tests.”
- “Please analyse the problem and find a solution.”
What is Analyze?
Analyze is a verb which means “to examine something in detail.” The word analyze is also used for the short term of psychoanalysis. Analyze is also used as a noun in the English language. As a noun, analyze means “ the examination of the elements or structure of anything in detail.”
Analyze is the other variant of the same verb “analyse.” This spelling “analyze” is commonly used in American English. This variant with a different spelling having a different second last letter “z” is in contrast with its counterpart that has “s” as its second-last letter. The use of this spelling “analyze” is preferred in American English. Analyze is the preferred spelling in American and Canadian English. The other forms of analyze are analyzing, analyzer, and analyzable.
- “The day time training limits the work possibilities, but it allows time to analyze, prepare, and train” [Sydney Morning Herald]
- “Here, I will present a metric that will help you analyze that risk.” [Forbes]
- “The goal of analyzing the data on a player’s in-game behavior is to make gaming an interactive experience.” [Financial Post]
- Analyse is standard in British English, whereas analyze is preferred in American English.
- The second last letter in analyse is “s”; on the other hand, the second last letter in analyze is “z.”
- The meaning of the verb analyseis “to examine in detail,” while the meaning of analyze is also “the detailed examination of anything.”
- The use of analyse is more common in British English; on the flip side, the use of analyze is more common in American English.
- The other forms of analyse are analysing, analyser, and analysable; on the contrary, the other forms of analyze are analyzing, analyzer, and analyzable.
- Analyse is the common spelling outside North America; conversely, analyze is preferred spelling in the American and Canadian English.
The words analyse and analyze have the same meaning, pronunciation, usage, and context, and both the words have distinction based on their preference of use in British and American English.