The main difference between Advice and Advise is that Advice is used as a noun, whereas Advise is used as a verb.
Advice vs. Advise
Advice is used as a noun, while advise used as a verb. The meaning of advice is “an opinion, suggestion, or recommendation that is offered as a guide to conduct or action. The meaning of advise is to give an offer, opinion, or suggestion regarding any conduct or action. Advice is having “c” as its second last alphabet. Advise is differing in spelling with advice as its second last letter replaces’s’ with the letter ‘c;’ the difference in this second last letter is the reason for their slightly different pronunciation. The noun advice is pronounced as /ədˈvaɪs/. Its ending is pronounced as “ice.” The pronunciation of the verb advise is /ədˈvaɪz/ with ending pronounced as “-ize.”
Advice as a noun is commonly used in speaking the English language. Advise as a verb is less common in spoken English but more common in written English. The word advice is a noun that is a thing or an idea. The word advise is a verb directing action or doing. The example of advice is, “I give a piece of advice to my sister.” The example of advise is, “I advised my sister to work hard.” Advice has the same meaning as advise but in the context of a noun. Advise is having the same meaning as advice but in the context of a verb.
What is Advice?
The word advice falls into the category of nouns. It conveys the meaning of suggestion for helping someone. In different cultures, advice has its importance. The youngsters are supposed to take advice from the elders before doing any critical task such as investing money in a business. Sometimes, people give advice even if they have not been asked for it. The word advice is also used in a phrase as “piece of advice,” e.g., “Let me give you a piece of advice.”
The word advice is often used in casual speech. People either ask for advice or tend to give it. It can be a piece of information, way of conduct, or help regarding anything that a person is going to do or is doing at present. The advice can be given or taken before doing a task or while doing a task but not after doing it. Advice after doing something is useless because the purpose of advice is to get ideas or regarding what you are doing. Advice is information that intends to help in any important matter.
- I have no idea what to wear for my birthday. I need your advice on this.
- I always ask for my mother’s advice before doing anything to get positive results.
- The wise older adult advises those who asked for it.
- The students are going to avoid so many problems if they would follow their teachers’ advice.
- You must follow your doctor’s advice and take precautionary measures.
What is Advise?
Advise is used as a verb that is used when telling people about what to do or how to do on a task or conduct. It is used passively in the formal situations as in school/college/university notice boards, e.g., “The students are advised to keep their environment clean.” Its pronunciation is /ədˈvaɪz/ with ending pronounced as “-ize.” It is divided into two syllables, i.e., ad-vize. The verb advise is not commonly used in routine conversation. However, it is more common in written English. Advise is used to give a suggestion, to inform about something, to notify about something, to offer suggestions, etc.
- The instructions on the medicine advised keeping children away from it.
- The parents advised their children to not to use mobile frequently.
- I was advised by my teacher to take regular classes and to be punctual.
- I want you to advise me to avoid the quarrels in married life.
- The authorities advised the people to stay at home to avoid coronavirus.
- Advice is used as a noun; on the contrary, Advise is used as a verb.
- The pronunciation of the noun advice is /ədˈvaɪs/ whereas the pronunciation of the verb advise is /ədˈvaɪz/.
- Advice is having “c” as its second last alphabet conversely the second last letter of the word advise is ‘s.’
- The second syllable of advice is pronounced as “ice” on the other hand, the second syllable of advise is pronounced as “-ize.”
- Advice has the same meaning as advise but in the context of a noun, contrarily advise has the same meaning as advice but in the context of a verb.
- The meaning of advice is “an opinion or recommendation that is offered as a guide to action” on the flip side the meaning of advise is “to give counsel, offer an opinion or suggestion regarding any conduct or action.”
- The word advice is a noun that is a thing or an idea; in contrast, the word advise is a verb directing action or doing.
- Advice as a noun is commonly used in speaking the English language on the converse advise as a verb is less common in spoken English but more common in written English.
The word advice and advise sound similar, but they are different from each other. The difference is based on their parts of speech, spelling, and pronunciation. However, their usage is interrelated.