The operating system provides steps to stop the interference with the usage of physical and logical resources, which are referred to as protection and security. The security and protection are sometimes interchangeably used as they don’t sound very distinctive. Although, the terms protection and security are majorly different. The most important difference between security and protection lies in the fact that the security manages the external information dangers in the computer systems whereas the protection addresses the internal threats.
What is Security?
The security of a system revolves around the outside environment, and in addition, it requires a proper protection system. The security systems incorporate the protecting of their computer resources against unauthorized access, malicious alteration and inconsistency. Here in the special circumstance, the resources are the saved data in the system, CPU, memory, disks, etc..
The security of the system highlights on the authentication process of the machine to be able to secure the physical resources in addition to the integrity of the data stored in the system. Security provides a mechanism to safeguard the user’s applications and data contrary to the interference brought on by an entity or individual external to the machine. For instance , in an organisation that the data is obtained by different employees but, it can’t be obtained by a user that does not exist in that particular organisation or a user working in other business enterprise. It’s the critical task for an organisation to supply some safety mechanism so that no outside user can access the information of the organisation.
What is Protection?
Protection is a component of safety which controls access to a system by optimizing the kinds of file access allowed to the users. The Protection of a system must ensure the consent of the users or processes. Because of this, these authorised users or processes can operate on the CPU, memory segments, and other sources. The protection mechanism should offer a medium for specifying the controls to be imposed, together with a way of enforcing them.
The Protection was perceived as an addition to multiprogramming operating system, to stop untrustworthy users from sharing a common physical and logical namespaces, as an instance, a directory of files and memory respectively. Protection is required to intercept the wicked, intentional violation of an access restraint with a user. Though, it’s important to assure that every active program component existing in a system utilize the system resources only in reliable ways as stated in policies. It includes the avoidance of user’s data and applications against interference by other users of this machine.
The protection can be translated by the similar example as given from the safety, any organization can have several departments under which many employees operate. The various departments can share a frequent information with each other but not the sensitive information. So, different workers have different access rights to the data according to which they can access the specific data.
- The Security provides a mechanism to check the user or process identity to allow it use the machine. On the other hand, protection controls the access to the system resources.
- Security is a broad term where more intricate queries are handled while protection comes under handles and security less elaborate issues.
- The Security policy describes whether the specific person is allowed to use the machine or not. As against, the protection policy specifies what user can access the particular resource (eg. file).
- The protection requires the internal sort of threat whereas in Security outside threats are also involved.
- Authorization is used in protection mechanism. To the contrary, the security mechanism authenticates and encrypt the user or process to apply the data integrity.