The main difference between Red Potatoes and White Potatoes is that Red Potatoes are thin red-skinned round-shaped potatoes with less starch, whereas White Potatoes are brown-skinned oblong-shaped potatoes with a high content of starch.
Red Potatoes vs. White Potatoes
The second name of red potato is Red Bliss Potatoes. The second name of white potatoes is Brown Russet Potatoes or Idaho. Red potatoes are average-sized; on the other hand, white potatoes can be small or large. Red potatoes are spherical, while the shape of white potatoes is round or rectangular. The skin color of red potatoes is red; on the other side, the skin color of white potatoes is brown. The inside of the red potatoes is red or white, whereas the inside of white potatoes is yellow or white.
Red potatoes have a buttery and waxy texture; on the contrary, white potatoes are slightly dense and slightly creamy. The starch content of red potatoes is less as compared to white potatoes. White potatoes are rich in resistant starch. Red potatoes are more sugary, and white potatoes are less sweet.
Red potatoes are cooked with skin hence provide more fiber content, whereas white potatoes contain less fiber as it is often cooked without the skin. Red potatoes provide fewer calories in contrast with white potatoes, which provides more calories. Red potatoes are hard; on the contrary, white potatoes are soft and fluffy. The health benefits of red potatoes are more than white potatoes. Red potatoes are anti-inflammatory and anti-cancerous. White potatoes are a food source for gut microbiota, which promotes gut health.
What are Red Potatoes?
Red potatoes are starchy vegetables with thin red skin with red or white soft flesh inside. It comes in medium size, often with round shape. These are Red Bliss Potatoes, with less starch and more sugar content. The texture of red potatoes is waxy and firm. These potatoes are firm hence not suitable for mashing, used in boiling, roasting, soups, stews, and casseroles.
A red potato supplies 1670 milligrams of potassium, which is vital for heart and muscle functioning. Potassium helps in excretion of sodium from the body. The skin of potatoes has its nutritional aspects. It is rich in fiber. Red potatoes supply the highest number of micronutrients and healthy phytochemicals. A flavonoid compound named as ‘quercetin’ is present in red potatoes in enough. This compound possesses anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties.
Red potato gives enough niacin that regulates cholesterol levels in the blood. It lowers LDL cholesterol and promotes skin and neuron health. Red potatoes provide lutein xanthophyll that supports eye health and choline necessary for brain health. Half of the recommended amount of pyridoxine is present is one large red potato. This vitamin helps in the metabolism of macronutrients and aids in the formation of red blood cells.
Red potatoes are naturally fat and gluten-free. Boil or roast red potatoes serve it with some herbs, till now it is fat-free. It is versatile can be served in many ways. It meets 45% of the daily intake of vitamin C, nourishes the body at all. It acts as an antioxidant and avoids oxidative stress.
What are White Potatoes?
White potatoes are edible tubers that belong from a family of starchy vegetables. Their other name is Russet Potatoes and Idaho. It comes in two shapes; most of the varieties have Russet shape with soft skin, with few sprouts and shiny white look. On the other hand, the second variety is round baseball shape with freckled skin and tan inside. Its texture is less creamy, slightly dense, has a light and fluffy nature. These potatoes are with more starch and less sugar.
White potatoes are rich in many nutrients, which include magnesium, potassium, dietary fiber, and vitamin B6. The white flesh is a rich source of resistant starch that acts as prebiotic for probiotics in the intestine. Enzymes are unable to digest this starch; hence microflora converts it into short-chain fatty acids like butyric acid. These fatty acids boost immunity and provide energy to colon cells.
White potatoes supply a plentiful amount of high-quality protein. The amino acids methionine, lysine threonine, and tryptophan are abundant, which are involved in cellular functioning and repair mechanisms. When white potato comes in the competition of rice and pasta, it is considered as high-calorie food. It has a high glycemic index, best for the athletes for endurance.
Do not store potatoes in the refrigerator, if you store it, and the starch converts to sugars and taste changes, the inside tan changes. You need a caution to eat green potatoes because these are signs of its spoilage. Do not wash potatoes before storage because it facilitates their spoilage rate.
- Red potatoes are also called as Red Bliss Potatoes, whereas the other name of white potatoes is Brown Russet Potatoes or Idaho
- Red potatoes are mostly medium-sized, while the sizes of white potatoes vary from small to large.
- Red potatoes’ shape is the circle; on the flip side, the form of white potatoes is round or rhombus.
- Red potatoes are thin red-skinned and white inside; on the other hand, the skin color of white potatoes is brown, and the inner side is yellow or white.
- The texture of red potatoes is definite and creamy; conversely, the composition of white potatoes is fluffy and less creamy.
- Red potatoes contain less starch content; on the other hand, white potatoes contain more resistant starch.
- Red potatoes supply more sugar content; on the flip side, white potatoes contain less sugar.
- Red potatoes are absorbed late in blood and have a less glycemic index, whereas white potatoes absorption is faster.
- Red potatoes are often cooked with their skin; conversely, there can be an option for white potatoes, whether cooked with or without skin.
- Red potatoes are hard, best for oiling, pan-frying, and steaming; on the other hand, white potatoes are soft, best for mashing purposes.
- Red potatoes offer 149 calories per serving; on the other hand, white potatoes provide 168 calories per serving
- Red potatoes add extra fiber in the recipe in the form of its skin; on the other hand, white potatoes add less fiber.
- Red potatoes find its use in salads and soups while white potatoes are perfect for French fries.
Red Potatoes and White Potatoes are different varieties of potatoes. Red potatoes are thin, soft-skinned, white inside, and provides fewer calories. White potatoes are brown-skinned, tan interior, soft and fluffy, and contain more calories.