The main difference between Pomeranian and Chihuahua is that Pomeranian has a double coat, a soft, dense undercoat, and a long, straight outer coat, whereas Chihuahua has two types of skin smooth and longhaired coat.
Pomeranian vs. Chihuahua
Pomeranian is a dog breed with a fluffy double coat, a soft, thick undercoat, and a longhaired outer coat. Chihuahua has two types of coat smooth and longhaired coat. The Pomeranian height is 6 to 7 inches weighing 3 to 7 pounds, and it has a pointed, fox-like face; the back is short with a high-set tail. The Chihuahua is 5 to 8 inches tall, and its weight is between 3 and 6 pounds, and it has a domed apple shape head or a flatter deer head; it has a narrow body with a straight and round back and a slender tail.
Pomeranians have a long, fluffy double coat in the black, blue, brown, cream, red, or white colors. Chihuahuas have smooth or rough coats in a wide variety of colors. The Pomeranian average lifespan of Pomeranian is almost 12 to 16 years. The Chihuahua has a comparatively longer lifespan of about 15 to 20 years. The origin of Pomeranian traces back to the sled dogs in Iceland and Lapland. There is no clear history of the birth of Chihuahua.
Pomeranians have a slightly domed skull with small and erect ears. Chihuahua has a dome-shaped head with large rectangular ears. Pomeranians come in red, orange, cream, black, brown, and brindle coats. The typical coat colors of Chihuahuas are black and tan, red, fawn, tricolored, brown or brindle. The training and grooming of Pomeranians are challenging as they are not good at learning. The grooming of Chihuahua is natural, for it is quick at learning.
What is Pomeranian?
Pomeranian is a small breed dog with approximately 9-11 inches of height. This breed originated from the breed of sled dogs in Iceland and Lapland. The main feature of Pomeranian is its double coat undercoat and outer coat. The undercoat is soft and dense while the outer coat is long and straight. The coat has various colors, e.g., red, orange, cream, black, brown, and brindle. It can also be bi or tri-colored coat. Their lifespan is about 15 years.
Pomeranian is easy to train as it is very active, intelligent, and curious. But grooming can sometimes be tricky as they are stubborn. Apart from this, they are a great pet and a preferred choice for older people. Pomeranians belong to the Spitz family that has working dogs from the Arctic. Pomeranians are confident, calm, friendly, bold, and full of energy. They are often used in different dog activities such as therapy, dog work, and obedience competitions.
Furthermore, Pomeranians are known to be good alarm barkers or watchdogs. People are having Pomeranian groom them every 4 to 6 weeks. The grooming includes the pup’s washing, brushing, ears, nails, fur trimming, and anal glands. If not on their own, the owner takes its pet to the groomer for complete grooming.
- Weight: between 1.5-3 kgs
- Head: round-shaped
- Eyes: bright, almond-shaped
- Muzzle: short and dark
- Ears: small and erect
- Tail: curled and set parallel to its back
- Coat: double, undercoat and outer coat
- Limbs: short and straight
- Feet: tiny and compact
What is Chihuahua?
Chihuahua is a breed of dog that is 6 to 8 inches tall, weighing 3 to 6 pounds. Chihuahua is of two types based on the texture of their coat. One type coat is rough, long, soft, flat, and a little wavy. A different kind of coat is short, smooth, and glossy. The rough coat needs to be brushed once or twice a week. The soft coat is brushed once a week. It sheds very little as compared to a rough coat. Both these varieties can also have an undercoat as well. The color of the Chihuahua dog breed is black, red, fawn, tricolored, brown, and brindle. These dogs are very active, and their grooming is easy.
Chihuahua needs regular exercise. It is very loyal and jolly. Chihuahuas are more comfortable with elderly people and not comfortable with kids. Chihuahua is a typical dog breed in Europe, America, and Mediterranean regions. The lifespan of Chihuahua is from 16 to 20 years. It depends on how the dog is cared for. The origin of Chihuahua is unknown. Some people believe that it was bred in China. Others hold an idea that this breed was native to Central America. And it is a descendant of the Techichi (a small dog lived of 9th century).
- Height: 6-9 inches
- Weight: between 3 and 6 pounds
- Head: domed, flatter deer
- Body: narrow
- Back: straight and round
- Tail: slender, loops over the back
- Eyes: quite protruding
- Ears: large and erect
- The height of Pomeranian is 6 to 7 inches, whereas the Chihuahua is 5 to 8 inches tall.
- Pomeranian weighs 3 to 7 pounds; on the contrary, Chihuahua weighs between 3 and 6 pounds.
- The face of Pomeranian is pointed, and fox-like on the converse, Chihuahua, has a domed apple shape head or a flatter deer head.
- Pomeranian has a long, fluffy double coat in black, blue, brown, cream, red, or white colors; in contrast, Chihuahuas have smooth or rough coats in a wide variety of colors.
- The Pomeranian average lifespan of Pomeranian is almost 12 to 16 years; on the other side, the Chihuahua has a lifespan of about 15 to 20 years.
- The origin of Pomeranian traces back to the sled dogs in Iceland and Lapland, while there is no clear history of the origin of Chihuahua.
- Pomeranians have small and erect ears; inversely, Chihuahua has large rectangular ears.
- Pomeranians come in red, orange, cream, black, brown, brindle, and parti-color coats; on the flip side, the standard coat colors of Chihuahuas are black and tan, red, fawn, tricolored, brown or brindle.
- The training and grooming of Pomeranians are challenging as they are not good at learning; on the contrary, the grooming of Chihuahua is natural, for it is quick at learning.
- Pomeranians require more coat maintenance daily; on the flip side, Chihuahuas require much less coat maintenance.
- The breed of Pomeranian developed in Poland and Germany; contrarily, Chihuahua breed developed in Mexico.
Pomeranian and Chihuahua are the two dog breeds similar to each other that are known for their active and alert behavior. Both are small in size, with a height of fewer than 11 inches. The difference between both the dog breeds is mainly based on their coat.