The main difference between personality and character is that Personality shows what you are outside or what you are to the world and Character reveals what you are inside.
Personality vs. Character
Personality also described as a group of qualities that makes a unique individual. However, personality generally related to the outer appearance and behavior of an individual. A character described as a structure of qualities of an individual which are different from other human beings. It especially refers to moral and cognitive or physical qualities. Personality is inborn. Character, however, comes from learned behavior inside your early relationships. Personality often referred to as the masked identity of a person. It is reflected by the external appearance and behavior that may or may not be true to inner character whereas character intimately referred to moral and ethical values. It focuses on the features or qualities that are unique to a person. Personality refers to the collection of cognitive abilities, behaviors, beliefs, ideologies, attitudes, etc. whereas character refers to one’s moral attributes or qualities. Personality especially refers to outward behaviors and the impression created on others while character especially refers to the moral and ethical conduct of an individual. Personality, on the whole, is significant in defining the type of person he/she is. Similarly, the character makes up the moral attributes of an individual; it is important in the overall behavioral patterns in him/her.
What is Personality?
Personality is meant to be more extreme and deep than the nature of a person. A person with personality does not seek the certification or approval of society or its acceptance and can start anything new. People with personality have supporters, and they are capable of starting new things in society which may or may not be adequate at that time. The personality of a person does not initiate only from his mind and values; it does not need the sanction or the support of society. Personality includes mental capacities as well as the passion of the heart. Once the mind accepts a new thought of a person with personality, the heart promotes the person to go forward and begin something which never done or something that needs to be done but not attempted. This happens because one’s personality is endorsed to be the state of being which does not only comprise the mind. It is the condition of existing and not just existing through thinking and organizing.
- Average: People who are high in nervousness and extroversion while lower in openness.
- Reserved: People in this type are not open or nervous, but they are emotionally stable.
- Role-models: These people are natural leaders with low levels of anxious and high levels of agreeableness, extroversion, openness, and conscientiousness.
- Self-centered: While these people gain high in extroversion.
What is Character?
The main idea behind the character is that character comes into play when the mind is intricate. The mind and its capacities are the main focus of the character. A person with character is competent in achieving anything by himself in society. It helps a person carry off tasks with a direction that is self-motivated and self-realized. People with character can initiate a business if they want, raise a family well, earn as much as they want, and achieve almost anything they desire but require the acceptance of society. The character of a person is obvious in every situation, and it doesn’t matter what the condition. The character of a person does not transform or modify. The behavior capable of changing, but the character doesn’t. The character of the person directs the behaviors of people. For example, if a person is a success story and ambitious, his character is visible and skilled in all situations whether they are domestic or professional. Character comes from emotions and the mind.
- Personality relates to the mixture of qualities, attitude, and behavior, that makes a person diverse from others. Character relates to a set of moral and mental qualities and beliefs, that makes a person different from others.
- Personality is a variety of personal qualities whereas character is a gathering of mental and moral characteristics of an individual.
- Personality is subjective or cognitive, but the character is objective and unbiased.
- The personality of a person may change with time. However, the character lasts longer.
- Does personality suggest Who we seem to be? On the other hand, the character represents. Who we are?
- The personality is the conceal or the identity of a person. Conversely, the character is the learned behavior.
- Personality is the outer appearance and behavior of a person. At the same time, a character suggests the qualities of a person hidden from sight.
- The personality does not need validation and support of society; In contrast, character requires validation and support of society.
Character and personality are associated, but they are not the same way. Personality is inborn feature or quality, and character consisting of learned behavior. The character may differ with the situation or circumstances or maybe purposely changed.