The main difference between Marines and U.S. Army is that for a person to be enrolled in Marines must be the age of twenty-eight while it is thirty-five in the case of enlisting in the U.S. Army.
What are Marines?
U.S. Marine Corps or simply Marines is one of the largest sections of the U.S Armed Forces. It is associated with the role of providing power projection deploying the resources of the U.S Navy and to carry on land, sea, and air-based operations and combined arms task. It was founded on November 10, 1775, but went inactive for few years. Historically, it was active three times, and now it has been active since July 11, 1978. The role of Marine is to carry amphibious, expeditionary and aerial warfare. Currently, it has 182,000 active and 38,500 reserve military personnel. It is the part of U.S Department of Defense and operates under the supervision of the U.S. Department of Navy. Along with the U.S. Army and U.S. Armed Forces, Marines has carried many national and international operations. It works with the U.S. Department of Navy for training, transportation, and logistics. Despite the fact that it is smaller in size and as compared to the U.S. Army but in recent years it has gained more popularity as compared to the other forces of the U.S. Armed Forces. It had now become a leading theorist of and the dominant practitioner of amphibious warfare of the world. The quality which distinguishes it from the other forces is that it is capable in rapidly responding on short notice to expeditionary crises that give Marines a dominant role in the implementation and execution of the United States foreign policy.
What is U.S. Army?
U.S. Army is the largest section of the U.S. Armed Forces. It is associated with the roles of performing land-based military operations. Founded on June 14, 1775, it has been active since the day and almost 241 years have been passed so far. At present, it has nearly 460,000 active military personnel and 530,000 reserves and National Guard military personnel. It is the part of the U.S. Department of Army that itself is the part of one of the three departments of the Department of Defense. The Army is led by a civilian officer appoint as a civil servant, chief military officer, and the Chief of Staff of the Army. The role of U.S. Army is to perform the land-based role, and its mission is “to fight the Nation’s wars, by providing prompt, sustained, land dominance, across the full range of military operations and the spectrum of conflict, in support of combatant commanders.” Its roles and duties are not restricted to the United States only. It participates in operations in worldwide and is the major land based offensive, and defensive force of the U.S. The motto of the Army is “This We’ll Defend.”. Currently, its headquarters is located in The Pentagon, Arlington County, Virginia, U.S.
- The size of U.S. Army is two-time higher than that of Marines.
- The role, mandate, and mission of U.S. Army are different but less complex and complicated as compared to the U.S. Marines.
- The Marines Corps rifle platoon is consisting of three rifle squads while U.S. Army platoons is consisting of the four-man fire team.
- The fire team leader of Marines carries the M203 grenade launcher while the weapons squad of Army carries an M240B machine gun.
- S. Army gets new weapons before the Marine. U.S. Army soldiers have the newest weapons before than Marines soldiers.
- It is common for U.S. Army to have AT-4s, Javelins, and SMAWS but Marine demands for the TOW and Javelin in the case of need.
- S. Army soldiers are categorized according to warfare qualities while Marines soldiers are categorized according to tactics and weapon usage system.
- S. Army performs land-based military operations while Marines perform all land, air, and sea-based military based operations.
- Marines deploy the mobility of the U.S. Navy while U.S. Army deploys the mobility of the United States Armed Forces.
- S. Army was founded on 14 June 1775 while Marines was founded on 10 November 1775.
- The roles of Marines are amphibious, expeditionary and aerial warfare. U.S. Army role is restricted to ground-based warfare.
- The current size of Marines is 182,000 active and 38,500 reserve military personnel while the current size of U.S. Army is 460,000 active, and 530,000 reserves and National Guard personnel.
- S. Army has 4,836 aircraft as compared to the 1,199 being held by the Marines.
- Marines’ anniversary day is 10 November while U.S. Army anniversary day is 14 June.
- Marines Academy was established in 1845 while the U.S. Army Academy was established in 1802.