The main difference between both programming language is that C is a simple procedural language and simply follows the procedural programming prototype while C++ is a multi-prototype language that means it is both procedural and object oriented.
C is an old system programming language developed by Dennis Ritchie in 1969. C has been accepted as an easy, flexible and powerful language used for programming of many applications, either it is for engineering programs or business programs. It was the upgraded version of B language of that time. UNIX operating system was the first operating system written in C and latest operating system like Windows and Linux, are also written in C language. Many computer architectures and operating systems are using this language. The advantages of C language are that it is a most reliable, portable, flexible, efficient, effective and interactive programming language. It is widely used in developing database systems, word processors, spreadsheets and operating system developments. At present 19% of the programs are developed in C programming language.
C++ (Cee Plus Plus) is a multi-prototype, procedural, object-oriented, generic, and functional programming language that also provides the facilities for low-level memory manipulation. It was designed by Bjarne Stroustrup and was initially released in 1983. Latest version of C++ was released on December 15, 2014. C++ is an accumulated language that is used in many platforms and many organizations like FSF, LLVM, Microsoft, and Intel are using this language. It is considered as the recommended programming language to strengthen the software infrastructures and resource-constrained application such as desktop applications, servers (includes e-commerce, web search and SQL servers), performance critical applications (includes telephone switches or space probes), and entertainment software.
- C is a simple procedural language and simply follows the procedural programming prototype while C++ is a multi-prototype language that means it is both procedural and object oriented.
- C is a case sensitive program language, care is needed in case of programming in C language. While C++ is not a case sensitive language.
- C mainly focuses on formal procedures or steps to solve any issue while C++ mainly focuses on objects instead of procedures or steps.
- Data security is compromised in C, that’s why not recommended for data security. In C++, data is hidden and can’t be accessed by external workings.
- C uses the top down approach while C++ uses the bottom up approach.
- scanf() and printf() function are use in C for standard input and output while cin>> and count<< are use for standard input and output function in case of C++.
- C is considered as a middle language while C++ is regarded as a high level language.
- Over loading and operator overloading supports function is available in C++ while all these are lacking in C.