Due to lack of the knowledge people often uses both these terms interchangeably, but both these terms are quite different from each other. It should be kept mentioned that leader is the more of the positive word as compared to the boss, whose sole purpose is to get the work done on time. Following this, a boss can be a leader at the same time, but not all bosses are leaders. A boss is a person in the organization that orders his employees to do the tasks, whereas the leader inspires his followers, motivates his subordinates and himself leads from the front to perform any task. The boss is good with skills of using his employees for the specific task well while a leader develops his followers in such a way so that they could be able to cope with hurdles in future.
What is Boss?
Boss is the head of the organization, who can either be the leader with a change in his treatment with his applies. Negative connotations are attached to the term boss as they are famous for utilizing the employees for the sake of their personal name. According to the common mindset, the boss who holds the authoritative power order the employees to do the tasks, and when done, he takes a max of the credit and profits with him. The word ‘I’ is often associated with the boss, it is used here to show the superiority and authority over the employees. With even having the authority to hire or fire, the boss inspires the fear in the eyes of employees. Therefore, the employees respect him in front but his absence shows their wrath of giving short-deadline work and taking the whole of the credit. Apart from claiming the all the appreciations, the decline or failure of the plan is blamed on the employees.
What is Leader?
A leader is a term used for an individual who inspires others by setting an example. Other than that he leads from the front and takes his followers to the success. Even with being a helping hand, motivating and inspiring people, the leader gives credit to the people working along with him. The leader has a clear vision and stays committed towards the goal. No matter how much difficulty comes in which achieving his goals, he never blackouts and strives consistently to achieve the things. Seeing his courage, commitment, and vision people support him heavily for the big cause. If the certain issues came, he solves it and keeps the morale high of his men. The leader believes in the unity and teamwork. Therefore, he creates the ‘we’ feeling among his followers and promotes teamwork. The leader develops his subordinates in such a way that they can cope easily with the harshness of life in the future.
Boss vs. Leader
- The boss orders his employees to do the task while himself resting, whereas the leader leads from the front for any cause.
- The boss inspires fear among employees as he has authority to hire and fire, whereas the leader motivates and inspires subordinates by setting an example.
- The word ‘I’ is often associated with the boss, it is used here to show the superiority and authority over the employees. On the other hand, the leader creates the ‘we’ feeling among his followers and promote teamwork.
- Upon success of the project or cause, the boss takes the credit while the leader gives credit to his entire team.
- The boss utilizes his employee’s skills for certain work, whereas the leader develops skills of his subordinates in such a way that they can cope easily with problems in future.