Aardvark and anteater are most confusing animals on earth because they are similar looking animals. But both are totally different species. Aardvark is a mammal and belongs to order Tibulidentata while anteater is also a mammal but it belongs to order pilosa. Aardvark are found in Africa while anteaters are found in Central and South America. Aardvark have claws for digging while anteaters have paws with long claws which they rolled up their paws for an awkward, knuckle walking gait. Aardvark have large ears and light coarse fur while anteaters have small ears and more fur.
What is Aardvark?
Aardvark is a mammal that belongs to order Tibulidentata superorder afrotheria. Aardvark is nocturnal animal but if the nights are cold then they come out in sunlight to lie in the sun to get warm. Aardvarks are commonly found in Africa savannah, scrub, open grasslands and woodlands. Aardvark are sometime referred as “ground pig” or “earth pig”. They have very long ears and tail that is wider at the base and gets narrow towards the end. Aardvark have short neck with arched back and uncommonly long nose. This nocturnal animal burrows itself underground to sleep during daytime and is famous for digging a new burrow as often as each night. Male aardvarks travel more likely to parts unknown while female aardvark stick to one geographical area. Aardvark weighs about 40-65kg and they are 1-1.3m long. Aardvark have cylindrical teeth which grows throughout their lifetime. Their teeth have no enamel and are worn away and they easily regrow continuously. Aardvark eats ants and termites. They have smattering of short coarse hair. Aardvark have long, thin protruding tongue and also they have structures supporting keen sense of smell.
What is Anteater?
Anteater is a mammal that belongs to order pilosa superorder xenarthra. Anteater is diurnal animal and mostly live in moist regions like swamps, river banks or humid forests. Anteaters are commonly found in Central and South America. Anteater is a solitary mammal and also known as “anthill bear”. Because of their claws and more fur giant anteaters are sometimes mistaken for bears. When anteaters want to sleep they just rolled up in a quiet are and use their bushy tails to cover themselves. Anteaters live on the ground. Anteaters weighs about 22-40kg and they are also 1-1.3m long. Anteaters have no teeth they are toothless, the digestion is aided by debris and pebbles they take in while eating ants or termites. Anteaters have long tongue, up to 18m in length. Anteaters have small ears and long bushy fur. Like aardvark, they have also powerful olfactory sense which allow them to sniff out their meals.
- Aardvark belongs to order Tibulidentata superorder afrotheria while anteater belongs to order Pilosa superorder xenarthra.
- Aardvark is a nocturnal mammal while anteater is a diurnal mammal.
- Aardvarks are commonly found in Africa savannah, scrub, open grasslands and woodlands while anteaters are found in Central and South America.
- Aardvark have larger ears and light coarse fur while anteaters have small ears and more fur.
- Aardvark burrows itself underground during the daytime while anteaters live on the ground.
- Aardvark have cylindrical shaped teeth which grows throughout their lifetime while anteaters are toothless.
- Aardvark are sometime referred as “ground pig” or “earth pig” while anteaters are sometimes referred as “anthill bear”.