The main difference between jeans and pants is that jean is a type of trouser made of heavy weave ‘denim’ whereas pant is a collective term used to refer all kinds of trousers made of lighter fabric.
Jeans vs. Pants
The durability of jeans and pants is the main point of differentiation between both; jeans are a highly enduring type of pants, whereas other types of pants are delicate and easy-wearing than jeans. Jeans are usually used as casual wearing and are jagged in appearance while pants are usually formal wearing. Jeans are hard and highly supple; on the other hand, pants are not as hard-wearing. Pants can be in a variety of colors whereas blue denim is most common in use among all jeans. Jeans have different varieties of colors, fits, and designs, while pants have different varieties such as khakis, corduroys, chinos, slacks, jeans, etc. Jean is made up of heavy twill material whereas, the lighter fabric is used to make pants. Jeans consist of a basic five-pocket design and pants have side pocket design besides the back pockets. Usually, jeans have tight-fitting. On the other hand, formal pants have loose-fitting. Jeans have elasticity and flexibility. On the other side, pants are inflexible. Jeans may not often require belt whereas pants often require a belt. Jeans is more popular among boys and girls, especially students. They consider jeans as their 2nd skin and have lots of collection in their wardrobes while all over the history pants have been mostly worn by men, but more women have adopted them over the last century.
What is Jeans?
Jeans is a type of trouser that is made up of heavy twill known as Denim and dungaree cloth. It is used as casual wearing, as it appears rough and tough, considered youthful and rugged by people. Jeans can occasionally wear except for the workplace and formal. It was first in use by Jacob Davis and Levi Strauss in 1871. It was invented for workmen like cowboys and miners as it is highly durable. It became popular in the mid 20th century, and it is still a popular fashion item among the youngsters. They are available in various fits and designs such as tapered, boot cut, cigarette bottom, narrow bottom, low waist, anti-fit, and flare, skinny, slim, straight. Jeans usually made of a cotton warp and wool weft, which is also known as “Virginia cloth.” Commonly, the blue color is used to dye jeans by using natural indigo dye. Today synthetic indigo helps dye denim.
The researches on the trade show that jeans developed in the cities of Italy, and Nîmes, France, Genoa. The French word for Genoa is ‘Gene’ which is the origin of the word “jeans.” The weavers of Nimes formed a similar fabric when they attempted to replicate fabric of jean that became known as ‘denim’ derived from word de Nimes meaning “from Nîmes.”
What is Pant?
The term pant represents all kind of trousers collectively made of lighter fabric. However, the meaning of this word varies according to the type of English. In America, the pant is a general word that is used to refer trousers while in the British language, it is used to refer to underwear or undergarments. It is a clothing that covers each leg, respectively, from waist to ankle. Pants can be of various types: corduroys, chinos, slacks, jeans, khakis. The ancient trousers were discovered in western China between 13th-10th century BC.
Parts of pants
- Cuffs: The legs of pants done by hemming the bottom to prevent fraying. They are rolled outward or stitched into place.
- Pleats: Pleats are on the front side of the pant, beneath the waistline. It characterizes various types of formal and casual pants such as suit pants and khakis. Pants have 1 to 3 pleats otherwise pleats are absent.
- Fly: A fly covers an opening to join the concealing part such as zipper or buttons, that joins the opening. Fly is an opening on the front of trouser that covers the groin and makes it easier to remove and put back the pant.
- Pants Support: Most pants use the support of a belt that passes through the belt loops on the waist of pants. The style was acceptable only for casual and work pants. However, suit and formal trousers were put off by the use of gallus or suspenders, attached by buttons on the waistband.
- Jeans are trousers made of ‘denim’ that is heavy fabric whereas the term pant represents all kinds of trousers made of lighter fabric.
- For casual wearing jeans are mostly in use; on the flip side, for formal wearing pants are mostly in use.
- Jeans are more durable than pants.
- Jeans are made up of heavy twill conversely pants are made of lighter fabric.
- Mostly Jeans are blue. On the other hand, pants can be of any color.
- Jeans are based on basic five-pocket design while pants have side pockets beside the back pockets.
- Jeans are hard-wearing whereas pants are easy wearing.
Jeans refer to a type of trouser made of heavy twill ‘denim’ and are usually used as casual wearing whereas pant is a collective term used to refer all kinds of trousers made of lighter fabric and used as formal wearing or workplace.