Table of Contents
The main difference between Jacket and Sweater is that Jacket is not a knitted garment whereas Sweater is a knitted garment.
Jacket Vs. Sweater
We use different types of clothes to cover our body. Jackets and sweaters are two types of clothing that are worn on the upper body during the cold season. Both the jacket and the sweater are clothes that are designed and produced to cover the body and arms of the human body and keep them warm. However, there is a fundamental difference between the jacket and the sweater. Sweaters are knitwear while jackets are not. There are many other differences between jackets and sweaters, depending on their styles and designs. Jackets are made up of a different type of materials like wool, cotton, blends, nylon or fur, etc. on the other hand; sweaters are made up of knitted material, i.e., wool or synthetic fibers either machine knitted or hand-knitted. Jackets have lapels, collars, and pockets, etc. whereas sweaters do not have collars or lapels. Moreover, Jackets have opened at the front, on the flip side, not all the sweaters have an opening at the front. The jacket is worn over other clothes while sweaters can be used alone. Jackets are mostly lighter than sweaters because they are designed for a number of practical applications like sportswear etc. Winter jackets, on the other side, designed for warmth, maybe heavier and may also be waterproof.
What is Jacket?
A jacket is clothing worn on the upper body. Jackets are usually worn over other clothing such as T-shirts, shirts or blouses like coats, but they are tighter, shorter and lighter than a coat. They usually extend to the middle of the abdomen or hips and have front openings. They also have collars, pockets, and sleeves. Jackets can be worn both for protection or as fashionable clothes. There are different types of jackets like Dinner jacket or suit jacket( a part of formal evening wear), Blazer ( a formal jacket), Fleece jacket ( a casual jacket made up of synthetic wool), Leather jacket ( a jacket made up of leather), Bed jacket ( a jacket for bed). Moreover, there are also different types of jackets on the basis of styles and designs such as bomber jackets, sailor jackets, gilets, jerkins, doublet, flak jackets, etc.
What is a Sweater?
Sweaters are knitted clothes that cover the upper part of the body. Sweaters can be cardigans or pullovers. The difference between sweaters and cardigans is the way they are used. Cardigans have opened in the front while pullovers do not have openings and must be worn over the head. Sweaters are traditionally made from wool, but now synthetic fibers are also used to make them. They can be used alone, without wearing anything underneath, but they are mostly used on other clothes. They can be used with a skirt or pants but usually, remain untouched. Sweaters also have different designs and patterns, i.e., their neck can be turtleneck, V-neck, or crew neck. Their sleeves may be full length, three quarters, or short. Sweaters are worn by all, i.e., men, women, and children. It is also important to note that sweaters are known as jumpers or jersey in British English.
- Clothing that is worn over the upper body is known as jacket whereas a knitted costume that covers the upper body is known as a sweater.
- Jackets are not knitted; on the other hand, sweaters are knitted.
- Jackets are made up of a different type of materials like wool, cotton, blends, nylon or fur, etc. conversely, sweaters are made up of knitted material, i.e., wool or synthetic fibers.
- Jackets have opened at the front zipped, or closed with buttons or other fasteners, on the flip side, not all the sweaters have an opening at the front.
- Jackets have lapels, collars, and pockets, etc. on the other side, sweaters do not have collars or lapels.
- Jackets are mostly worn by men while, sweaters are worn by everyone, i.e., men and women and children.
- The jacket is worn over other clothes on the other hand; sweaters can be used alone.
- The weight of a jacket depends on style and season because it is designed for some practical application such as sportswear etc. on the flip side, the sweater is heavier and usually worn for extra warmth.
From the above discussion, it is summarized that Jacket is a garment that covers the upper body and is not knitted. It is mostly used by men. On the other side, the sweater is a knitted garment that covers the upper body and is wear by everyone to keep the body warm.