Table of Contents
The brain is the Central Processing Unit (CPU) of the organism’s body. The brain takes decisions about all the voluntary actions and other commands. The neurons, which are a specialized type of the cells, are responsible for transmitting information throughout the body. The process of communication takes place as the message conveyed first travels to the brain, and there it is interpreted and transferred to the other parts of the body. Here we’ll be differentiating between two types of the communication disorders, which are primarily caused due to the injury or abnormality in the brain of the human body. In aphasia, the patient faces complete disruption to communicate as he/she fails to speak or understand what other say. On the other hand, dysphasia is the partial or less severe disruption as aphasia. In this type of disorder, the patient can’t comprehend language and can even face the partial loss of speech or the understanding ability.
What is Aphasia?
Aphasia is the severe communication disorder that takes place due to the damage to the left area of the brain, where the language is usually stored. The aphasia denotes the severe kind of communication disorders in individual, which can cause the total disruption of communication. Or in other words, we can say that the patient might suffer a complete loss of speech. People often have a misconception about this severe disease that one suffering through it also gets his /her intelligence affected. But, in reality, the intelligence of the person remains unaffected, and it has a direct effect on the speaking, listening, writing and reading abilities of the individuals. The main cause of aphasia is the stroke, other than this; it can also be caused due to the brain tumors or the injury on the language storing area of the brain. Usually, the left part of the brain is known as the language producing and storing area of the brain, and any damage to this area has more chances to lead one through complete disruption to communicate. When the right area of the brain is damaged, one can witness issues other than the speaking, listening or understanding. Technically speaking this dysfunction is caused due to the damage to the Wernicke and Broca’s area of the brain.
What is Dysphasia?
The concept of the dysphasia is closely associated with the term aphasia. The dysphasia is a less severe communication dysfunction in which one might lose the speech partially or lacks the ability to comprehend the language. In other words, we can say that dysphasia is the type of aphasia in which the patients suffers the moderate or the partial disruption to communicate. The other thing which defines dysphasia differentially is that one suffering from this lacks the ability to comprehend the language. It will be pertinent to mention here that the prefix ‘days’ in the medical field means ‘abnormality,’ whereas the prefix ‘a’ denotes the complete absence. The dysphasia tells about the moderate or the partial disruption of the ability to communicate. Mainly, there are three types of dysphasia: Receptive Dysphasia, Expressive Dysphasia, and Mixed Dysphasia. In expressive dysphasia, the patient can understand the thoughts and a message conveyed by the sender, although finds it difficult to come up with the verbal response to it. In receptive dysphasia, one finds it difficult to comprehend the language.
Aphasia vs. Dysphasia
- Aphasia is considered an extreme disorder whereas dysphasia becomes known as a less dangerous version of aphasia.
- Aphasia is a disorder that can become known as the loss of someone’s ability to speak or understand what someone else is talking. Whereas Dysphasia is a disorder in which a person is not able to comprehend the language, but when it comes to what the actual language of the person, they will not be able to differentiate between it.
- Aspasia is the disorder in which a person finds it difficult to speak whereas dysphasia is the disorder in which a person finds it difficult to understand the language.
- When a person suffers from aphasia, their brain goes through total disruption while when a person suffers from dysphasia, their mind goes to some confusion.
- The main reasons of Aspasia occurring in a human being is a stroke, tumor or neurological disorder whereas the leading causes for dysphasia can be due to an injury or stroke.
- When a person suffers from Aspasia, they are not able to communicate with others in any way, whereas when a person suffers from dysphasia, they can communicate with the help of gestures.
- A person has to go through surgery if they are to be cured for Aspasia whereas there are reasonable ways of treating such as therapy for dysphasia.