The main difference between Transgender and Transsexual is that Transgender is the mental change to adopt the desired gender instead of birth-assigned gender, whereas Transsexual is the physical change to adopt the desired gender by medical assistance.
Transgender vs. Transsexual
Transgender is the term that is associated with the mental and psychological sense to change the gender, whereas transsexual is the term that is associated with the desire to change the status of their gender physically. Transgender people are mentally diverted to own the desired gender; on the other hand, transsexual people are highly desired that they even use medical aid to depress or acquire the different sex traits.
The term transgender is first used by the psychiatrist named John F. Oliven in 1965; on the flip side, the transsexual was first reported by the Norman Haire in 1930 after the completion of first genital reassignment surgery. In the word “transgender,” gender is the term that is associated with social and cultural roles and preferences, while in the word “transsexual,” sex is associated with the physical characteristics of one’s body.
Transgender usually not involved in the surgical or hormonal treatments to change the gender, while transsexual people are mainly involved in the use of surgical and hormonal treatments. Transgender is not included in the permanent change of gender; on the other side, transsexual people are involved in the permanent change in gender physically. Transgender can call as transsexual as they may or may not use medical aid, while transsexual people are not called as transgender.
What is Transgender?
Transgender is the term that is assigned to those humans who are different from their actual assigned gender as they preferred to choose different sex than the actual one. Transgender behave, express, identify and sense themselves by the sex other than the birth gender. Gender is the term that is associated with the “social and cultural roles.” Transgender is the internal sense of the individual’s mind who desires to own the gender other than the birth gender. Transgender is opposite to the cisgender.
In 1965, there was a psychiatrist named John F. Oliven used the term “transgender,” which replaced the previous notation of “transsexualism.” Transgender is associated with the psychological and social desires that urge them to acquire a different gender. The transgender persons may also be referred to as the third gender, genderqueer, androgynous, bisexual, non-binary, and nonconforming as well. Transgender can also be called as the cross-dresser.
Transgender persons have to face multiple social criticism, pressure, and unacceptance. Thus these factors of society can cause psychological disorders like depression, anxiety, panic conditions, and therefore suicide chances are also increased. Gender dysphoria is too faced by transgender people. Some mental health professionals also provide the treatment for the mental illness for not acquiring the actual gender or when someone is willing for the transition. Some of the transgender people are also provided with medical and surgical care as include hormone replacement therapy for trans man and a trans woman.
What is Transsexual?
Transsexual is the term that is ascribed to the permanent transition to desired sex other than assigned by the medical aid. The word “sex” is ascribed explicitly to the “physical attributes and preferences.” They are so convinced and confirmed that they use major surgical and hormonal assistance for the transition to sex as they want to change physically as well.
In 1930, Norman Haire reported the completion of first genital reassignment surgery, which leads to providing its root to transsexualism. In Benjamin’s book, transsexual is considered as a subset of transgender. Sex reassignment therapy, hormone replacement therapy, hormone blockers are some medical treatments that are used by the transsexual peoples. Transsexual people not only physically transitioned but also change their names, gender roles, and legal sex selection.
Transsexual is the physiological transition of the one to a trans man or trans woman. Transsexual people also face societal pressure and criticism. Some religions are also intolerant towards transsexual people. Trans people can express the desired sexuality they want. There are a lot of media appearances by the transsexual people. In the world, some states provide legal laws for transsexual persons.
The measurement of the occurrence of transsexual people in the population of the country is measured in 10,000 or 100,000 people is called incidence, and the ratio of incidence varies from state to state.
- Transgender is the term related to the one desire to show the gender opposite to actual gender acquired at birth, whereas transsexual is the desire of one to change the gender other than actual physical.
- The transgender term was first used in 1965 by the John F. Oliven, on the other side of the coin, transsexual was first reported in 1930 by the Norman Haire after the completion of first genital reassignment surgery.
- Transgender does not involve the permanent change of gender, while transsexualism involves the permanent change of gender by medical aid.
- Transgender is the term that is associated with social and cultural roles; on the flip side, transsexual is the term that is associated with physical features or attributes.
- Transgender does not involve the medical assistance to depress or enhance the physical characters; on the other hand, transsexual involves the surgical and hormonal treatments to suppress or enhance the physical features.
- Transgender behave, express and identify themselves by the different gender other than assigned, while transsexual not only behaves or express but also change them physical to another gender than the assigned one.
- Transgender involves the psychological and apparent transition to another gender; on the other side of the coin, transsexual involves the physiological transition from actual gender to others.
- Transgender is not medically changed or transitioned by the surgical or hormonal treatment; on the other hand, transsexual is medically changed by the surgical and hormonal treatments to acquire the desired gender.
Transgender is the term that is associated with the personal desire of one to apparently change their gender other than assigned at birth, whereas transsexual is associated with the desire to change the gender permanently with medical assistance like hormonal and surgical aids.