Both the words are better revealing that what they do posses but the turn comes in as Polygamy is having more than one spouse at time, that can be two three or even more, but at the same time bigamy is an offence as in it one have two spouses at the same time and neither the first nor second spouse is aware of the other. In bigamy, this can also be the case that one has not taken divorce from the other before marrying to the other one.
What is Polygamy?
This process allows the couple to have more than one spouse at one time. Although, today this marriage system is not that much popular as it used to be in King-Queen times as in that ancient times Kings, Queen or other people also preferred this as with it they also get in sexual relation with many officials especially the servants which were called Sex Servants. Mainly, Polygamy can be placed in two groups: Polygyny and Polyandry. Polygyny is marriage type when husband is married to more than one wife at a time and Polyandry is when women marries with more than one person at a time. This practice is also called illegal in many of the mindsets as women biologically can’t keep more than one spouse to produce a child.
What is Bigamy?
This practice is claimed as the offence or a crime at many stages in different countries. Specifically its not about entering in a dual marriage status, it is about keeping two way relation without keeping it in the notice of the prior spouse. In some stances, like in Muslims bigamy is an offence for women two be in married relation with two people at the same time, although it is a completely legal for men in them. Here it should also be kept mentioned that in Muslim societies the man marrying the second one is not bound to ask or tell the previous wife of his getting in new relation.
- Polygamy is the practice of marrying more than one spouses at one time, whereas bigamy is marrying two spouses at the same time without telling both of them about your duo marital relation.
- Polygamy is not considered as any crime or felony in the common mindsets , whereas bigamy is considered as crime or an offence across the globe.
- In polygamy one can have two or more than two spouses at one time, on the other hand in bigamy one can have two spouses at the same time.
- In polygamy spouses know about their partners multi-marital status, whereas its not in the minds of spouses in bigamy as one without telling or realizing the first partner keeps the relation with the second spouse.
- Spouses doesn’t live under one roof in a bigamy relation, whereas in polygamy spouses may live under one roof.